Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melsingh_gw

Ceramic Coated Screws on Ipe Deck

melsingh
17 years ago

I was reviewing my invoice for my deck and noticed that they will be using ceramic coated deck screws for my Ipe deck.

If I want stainless steel it will be an additional $700.00.

Is it worth the extra money or will I be fine with the ceramic coated screws.

Thanks again

mel

Comments (14)

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

Mel,

How big is your deck that you need that many screws? I've never spent more then $200 for SS screws on any of my decks.

SS are better then the ceramic home depot screws.
    go to manasquanfasteners.com or mcfeelys.com, and buy your own SS screws.

steve

• melsingh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My deck is 366 sq ft. What would happen if I used the ceramic screws?

• jeffk
    17 years ago

Find another deck builder.

• melsingh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The deck builder we are using is one of the best in our area. We have seen their work and their reputation is impeccable.

They told us that the ceramic coated steel screws would be fine and that they are better than galvanized screws.

John or Pressurepros, can I get your opinion?

• nutsandbolts
    17 years ago

galvanized are NOT stainless stell, so their argument does not go with what is being said here. the ceramic coated screws (in my experience) can do two things;
    1) chip during screwing, and then rust
    2) get baked by the sun and lose color or fade, and then maybe rust

Depends on which ceramic screws are being used, but it can go bad. Like it was posted above, just buy your own ss screws and have them there for the builder. I imagine that he gets the ceramic in bulk, or uses a specific drill to pre-drill the holes and then screws them in. The best ss screws are trimstar type, with tiny heads, so they all but disappear when done properly.
    On these other decks you have seen, what do the screws look like?

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

Mel,

You want free advice, but you aren't listening.

No way can the SS screws cost more than $200-250 for a 366 sq' deck. ask him how many screws he'll need and buy them.
    Nobody here knows how a ceramic coated screw will hold up in ACQ pressure treated. hot dipped galvanized are better...IMO

If you don't believe me, wait for JH to tell you the same thing. SS screws are the best. If they aren't plugging them, get the trim heads.

steve...building Ipe decks a long time

• melsingh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I apologize if it sounds like I am ignoring everyones' advice. I understand that the SS screws are the way to go, I just wanted to know 'why' the ceramics screws were no good.

Now I know, and I will definately take a look at those two web sites you had suggested and order my own screws.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

I tried to tell Mel the same thing but there are so many pop ups on this site that my post dident get thru. I woudent mind it if they were still running those adds with little girls in high heels and levies! So funny geting major Yucks. J

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

hey John Mon,

Those popups are annoying...but if they didn't have them, we might have to pay to come here and give free advice. :-)
    I must have missed the high heeled babes. annoying popups should be entertaining.

steve

• alex399
    17 years ago

Just a thought... Could the added cost be covering labor to predrill as well? I've never used ceramic in Ipe, but if they'll cut through without snapping, they'd certainly be a labor saver over stainless. I generally use the SwanSecure stainless screws when doing anything with Ipe, and I know for damned sure you cant drive them without predrilling.

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

I'll pre-drill it for him for half the loot... $350 will be my share. This guy might be good, but bend over and grab your ankles. You're getting.........

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

BY THE WAY.... shocking comment.. but beware of stainless steel in some situations. If anyone out there is building a structure, porch, arbor, awning or such... please consider the galvanic chart. Stainless steel is made up of a few substances and needs oxygen to form it's protective film. Meaning... if you are building by a pool or clean your structure with a chlorinated cleaner.. it will react with the stainless steel.. pitting and corroding. A few structures have collapsed killing people because of this reaction.
    Stainless steel can be passive and active at the same time.. The top part gets air, the bottom doesn't.. add chlorine, or chlorinated vapor..(heat rushes it).. and it begins the corrosion process.
    So do your homework if you're using stainless with parts that hold things up... and watch how you clean them... remember chlorine, chlorine cleaners don't like stainless steel.

• srercrcr
    17 years ago

House painters commonly clean the house surface with bleach (chlorine) and water too.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    17 years ago

My experience is that galvanized screws rust a lot faster than ceramic coated ones do. Maybe galvanized has gotten better in recent years but a while back my father became disabled and required the use of a wheelchair. I built a ramp for his house. After six months every galvanized screw showed signs of rust, the ceramic were fine.

If I was paying for Ipe, I'd go with stainless. A $700 premium for the screws alone is absurd. Even if the ceramic ones were free, and they're not. I'm wonder if this guy uses a autofeed screw gun of some sort and stainless screws aren't available for it. Maybe the extra money is materials and labor???

I'd suggest asking your contractor what the story is. If the $700 is for screws lone, ask what brand, size, quantity he'd like to have and buy them yourself.

Mike