Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jac929

Is it better to seal pavers?

jac929
17 years ago

Our pavers (Transpave) were installed 2 years ago and we have not sealed them yet. We would like to hear your thoughts about the pros and cons of sealing pavers, so that we can decide if we should invest the time and money required to seal our large patio.

If you have sealed your pavers, please tell us the product you have used successfully for this purpose.

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

I read your post below... Transpave has a transferable 5 year warranty.
    They tout themselves on being one of the only landscape manufacturers with a replacement policy at no charge to you. So act on this if you're crumbling, etc.
    2nd, Transpave is more of a concrete/granite. It's concrete with granite in it instead of typical stone.
    You will most likely have to seal this. They make this stuff look old by making all these little pits and they hold water, freeze, expand, push, and repeat the process until they are in shambles. BUT.. don't do a thing to it until you contact them and get your free stones. You had a defect within 5 yrs and it should be replaced. Ask them specifically if you should seal it.. (after they give you the new stuff).. Don't say anything now or they might try and void this by saying, "sealing it.? OH YEAH you should seal it.. you mean you didn't?"... So... get your free stuff first, then ask that question for your new stuff.

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

Also, they are sorta evasive about the labor in replacing the free stone. At least E.P Henry tells you right out you're paying for your own labor. So confirm this with transpave or you'll have a pile of stone dropped off at your gate with no installer in sight.

• shelende
    17 years ago

Jac929, sorry to hijack this post but I need to ask Gorillabuilder about the quality of E.P. Henry, do the pavers hold up?
    Can anyone out there comment on the quality of any pavers appropriate for cold weather areas? I know if I asked about what color green to use, I would get 100 comments.

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

E.P. henry is an old business over 100 years old. Keep in mind we are talking about concrete, stones..etc.. This stuff can last a looooooong time.
    if you install them and maintain them correctly and use the right stone for the right job you should get tons of years out of them. But like any concrete product, you got to watch for defects in the mix or drying process. Some people get a bad batch for 1 reason or another and it can start a problem. They can have a small crack which happened during drying, transporting, etc.. and go through a freeze, expansion process and begin to crumble. This is rare but happened to someone on the board within 2 yrs.
    You don't have to be hesistant about buying a paver. Just read about the different manufacturers and find one with the best warranty so if you do have a problem you can get replacements for your rare bad batch.
    Some stones are made for driveways, some aren't. Some need to be sealed, some don't. Some are made to let water pass through. So, get the right stone for the right application and mantain it as they suggest.

• jac929
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gorillabuilder,thank you so much for the information. I did not know that the type of pavers I bought would need a lot of maintenance. Is sealing pavers a job that we can do ourselves or do you recommend that we hire a professional?

Do you know a good sealer that we can use for this purpose, and any tips on how we can do this ourselves successfully?

Thanks so much for your help!

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

this is from transpave website..
    'Consumers must remember that a defective product is one that will prematurely show signs of deterioration, usually within two or three years after installation. '
    -----------
    Call transpave at Toll free: 1-800-363-8099 and tell them what specific stone you got from them. They should reccomend a sealer or maybe they won't.
    Usually with concrete in the mix a sealer aborbs and protects it from some cracks filling with water and penetrating to freeze and pushing the paver apart.
    It also repels stains, spills, etc that the paver comes across. It stops weeds, keeps sand from washing out if you used sand.
    They come with different finishes gloss, semi, flat.. Some of traction built in too.
    The disadvantages are you'll have to do it once in awhile. Some paint it on, other professional surfaces mist it on.
    So all I can say is call transpaver, tell them what stone you got, ask them what sealer they like or recommend if any.. .
    then google ..paver sealers.. and find one you like that gives the finish you like and the traction.
    I'll post a link so you can get in touch with a local paver sealer that can give insight to your specific stone and solution.
    But definitely call transpave first and, I can't remember if it was you that said about stones crumbling within 2yrs.... but remember their warranty when you call them about the defect.. and the sealer question.
    Also... you most definitely can do it yourself. It's just a solution that is aspplied to the stones. Some will use mist sprayers, but some products you just sponge or brush on.
    geez I can't shutup in this message... I should be a novelist. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete paver