Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck maintenance

Posted by esox07 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 17:43

I had a new deck installed last summer in June. I waited a couple months for the treated pine lumber to dry out and then sprayed on Thompson Water Seal. It shed the water very well and is now still shedding water but not quite a much as before. I thought the stuff would work for a couple years at least. After reading through some of the posts on this forum, I find that TWS type of wood preservatives are the least effective at preserving wood decks. Seems that the stains are the better choice but I like the natural color and wood grain and don't want to cover it up. What are my best options for next summer as I will probably need to do something by then. I don't want to have to redo it every year or even every other year if I dont have to. It is a 13x13 deck in Wisconsin. It gets a good amount of direct sun throughout a summer day.
Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck maintenance

Best thing to do is use a stripper followed by neutralizer and let it dry then seal with a brand name sealer. Ready seal or Armstrong Clark. You will still have to do it every couple of years but with better sealers it is an easy wash and reseal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here