Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bluestone Patio: To Grout or not?

Posted by terrillbean (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 17:02

I am building a bluetone patio in my back yard (approx 18 ft X 100 inches). I live on the seacoast of NH. I would like to avoid weeds eventually growing in the seams of the patio (square bluestone, not irregular). My contractor advises against it because of the New England weather. I also like the white lines in between. Am I wrong about this?

Terri
Hampton, NH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bluestone Patio: To Grout or not?

I am by no means an expert, but I was told not to grout a deck b/c of frost heave. That being said, we have a patio now with the stones set in concrete that has much the smae effect, I think, as a grouted pation. It has held up fine to our upstate NY winters. The only real problem is a couple of smaller stones have come un-stuck from the concrete and we have to set them back in their spots. (The patio was in when we bought the house, so I don't know a lot about the installation).

Oh, I should mention that even with the concrete under and between the stones, little weeds manage to take root in any little, teeny, tiny crevices they can find.

o
RE: Bluestone Patio: To Grout or not?

Thanks for your response Carajon. I went to two different Stone and Masonry stores today. One store recommended "Sand Joint Stabilizer (Prosoco) which goes over the bluestone and sand in your joints and "seals" it. The second place gave me a brochure for "Stabiliz-O-Block (Sable Marco) which is the actual Polymeric Sand for paver joints. I'm going to investigate both. Oh.. and BOY is Bluestone expensive.. eeek.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here