Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify - Western cedar or Douglas fir

Posted by tom_nwnj (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 17:01

We are doing some home improvement, by a local builder. After he began to uncover a knee wall for a two season porch, he finds Western Cedar 4X4 (clearly marked), and 2X4 construction for the rest of the wall. I think the 2 bottom plates are also Western Cedar, based on the black stain marks left by the uncoated steel nails.

So, are they cedar?

If they are not cedar (but I think they are), do I have to replace these plates? (they contact concrete)

Thanks!

tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify - Western cedar or Douglas fir

Imo, the bottom plates are cedar. One way to test it is to drill a hole in the bottom plate as well as the d.f. plate above it using a spade bit. !/2" should work. The hole in the cedar will drill cleaner than the d.f. Tough call because the bottom picture's bottom plate on the left has graining resembling d.f., but in the upper pic, you can see the difference between the bottom plates and the upper plates above them, which I'm sure are d.f.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here