Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using nails/glue for composite decking instead of screws?

Posted by arlingbound (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 16:59

We're having a composite deck (Timbertech Twinfinish planks - not the tongue-and-groove product) installed, and our contractor is affixing the planks to the pressure-treated framing by using a combination of heavy-duty polyurethane construction adhesive and galvanized nails.

This is not the standard procedure recommended by TT (which is stainless screws or composite deck screws) but our contractor assures that he has successfully done this in the past. The reason he does it is to avoid seeing the screw heads. He says that using screws is "overkill" to keep the boards down.

When I asked whether the glue would make it difficult to replace boards in the future should they need replacement, he said that it would be no more difficult than if he used screws and a screw head popped off, which he says happens frequently. He said that the glue could be scraped off without taking the framing with it.

When I asked whether the glue would prevent the boards from expansion/contraction, said that composite boards don't really move.

Questions: (1) Has anyone else used (or heard of) using nails and glue instead of screws for composite decking? (2) Should we be concerned about the longevity of the construction, expansion/contraction of the decking, difficulty of replacing boards, or anything else?

I am just a layperson and would really appreciate some expert advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using nails/glue for composite decking instead of screws?

Using screws to put down any kind of decking is not overkill its normal.Using adhesive on composite is different, mabey it will take to the man made stuff mabey it wont.Composite defently moves with the weather/moisture.

Nails have no place near the hold down power of screws and leave at least the same hole in the material. J

o
RE: Using nails/glue for composite decking instead of screws?

I agree with John, screwing decking is SOP not overkill, never heard of using glue on any composite other than the pvc ones (TT is not). Composite moves more than wood in most cases.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here