Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips to Share on Cleaning & Staining Wood Railing w./ Deckorators

Posted by hwyguy (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 16:43

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I love the look of the Deckorator's Aluminum Baluster, but I'm a little concerned about cleaning & staining the top and bottom rails and how it could affect the baluster.

According to an email I sent to Deckorators a while back, they said that any stain or solvent can ruin the finish of the baluster.

So I was wondering, how do the folks on here maintain their stains on their wood railings without harming the balusters in the process? Tape first? Remove the railings completely?

In case anyone is wondering, I am referring to plain-old PT-pine railings.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips to Share on Cleaning & Staining Wood Railing w./ Deckora

I have the aluminum railing and never had any issues. When cleaning I just make sure not to leave any chemicals on the balluster, just rinse well. Then when staining, I do not tape anything, I just use a brush and cut around the railing connectors. The stain wipes off the ballusters very easily, just don't let it dry on there. Even then, I'll bet it would not be difficult to remove.

riles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here