Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reparing deck

Posted by ctyler4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 16:39

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and have a question hopefully someone can help me with. The last tenant that was renting my home decided to "work" on the deck. He cut one of the corner support post, opened a 2" gap and then spliced the post back together with an outside board. He was evicted for a million other reasons but now the whole deck is leaning backwards. I really do not want to tear it down and restart but I do need it to be safe since I rent the house out. The deck is less than 5 yrs old. Any suggestions???

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reparing deck

Basically you jack up the deck and replace the post. It's hard to tell from the picture but there should be a steel post base to connect the post to the concrete to prevent the post from shifting.

o

I don't know who built your deck but it looks like it has serious problems with the footings/posts. Though the tenant should have obviously called you and not have tried to fix it themselves. I'd have somebody check the footings and then replace/plumb all the posts.

o

Thank you both very much! I appreciate the advice! The deck had just been built when we bought the house, but it does look like we will be replacing all of the posts.

o

My Deck comes off my 2nd floor and was built in 87. Now the deck appears to be settling and I dought they put proper footings in to support the weight of the deck. How costly is it too just have someone raise the deck and replace the post there are about 8 that need to be reset?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here