Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Sap and Poor Results Cabot on Cedar Deck

Posted by mgrab (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 16:27

About 3 years ago I built a cedar deck and treated with Cabots Natural Timer Oil. I did this in the fall then lightly powerwashed and reapplied in the spring to freshen it a bit since my coverage was light in some spots looked fantastic.....then late summer hit....sap city from the pine trees in my yard. Deck looked horrible....company was visiting so I made some futile and poor attempts to power wash, scrub...started to peal. Just horrible. I think my coverage became too heavy. I have now removed 85% via powerwasher only. I have read many of the threads pro/con different brands. Anyone experience this....I'm leary to reapply Cabot's though I hear little about their product being poor....just don't want to buy something worse! As well I don't want to buy something incompatible with any residual Cabot's I can't remove.....Help.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Sap and Poor Results Cabot on Cedar Deck

You might want to check out this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN18up1q2GQ It is a "product" video but its pretty informative.
I have had some success removing sap stains by scraping off the bulk and then covering the sap with a cotton rag and running a hot iron over it to melt the sap so it will be absorbed by the rag. Sometimes news paper or brown paper bag works better than cloth.
This same trick can work for candle wax too
Woodrich-Brand offers a Timber Oil that is loaded with pigment and can really look nice but I prefer their Wood-Tux product in the Brown Sugar color on cedar. It has a rich bronze look to it. Their website says they only sell the Wood-Tux to contractors but I happen to know they will sell it to you if you call them. They will just tell you to be sure not to over apply it. It only takes one coat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodrich-Brand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here