Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composite or Wood deck railing?

Posted by lisa616 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 16:21

I'm building a new deck..I purchased Trex decking because I got a great price. I know tree has issues, but the price was right and I will baby it...Now, I need railings and they weren't available at the clearance place I was at. I'm trying very hard to save money....I am looking at timber tech, certain teed ever new (cheapest) or possibly treated wood with aluminum balusters...any thoughts? The ever new really looks plasticy, but I guess they all do except the real thing. I'd really love some advice. Deck railing will be approx. 64 running feet.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composite or Wood deck railing?

Because of warping I have seen in railings I would seer away form composites. Go with real wood and treat properly.

o
RE: Composite or Wood deck railing?

Wondering what you decided for the railings? We are in the same spot. Just finished TREX for the floor/decking but plan to use pressure treated for railings and keep posts pressuretreated. We tried the BEHR solid stain that is marketed to match the TREX colors. Hate it! The stain looks like dirty brown paint. Now looking into semi-transparent stains to let some of the wood grain show through but do not want to compromise on the protection factors. Read about Ben Moore and their Abercoat clear finish (?) maybe apply that over a watered down BEHR for the color? Very confused and disappointed right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here