Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting the 'wet' look

Posted by sacto_diane (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 15:07

Not directly related to a deck but to a wood porch. I have a T&G Doug Fir covered porch on my 1912 bungalow. It's North facing and deep under an overhang so it stays dry year round and protected from the sun. I've sanded down to bare wood removing old bad paint jobs reveling beautiful old Doug Fir boards.

I refinished with Superdeck transparent penetrating oil finish and it looks great. I'd like to finish it off with something that keeps that wet semi glossy look when the oils are still wet. I don't know if something like exists for finishing exterior wood.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting the 'wet' look

The only thing that will give the "wet look" is spar eurathane made by Minwax. Only thing is it is not made for decking, but doors/siding & such. I have done it & it did look really nice for awhile, but wore off fast. You'll get a worn path & the edges will stay nice longer. Don't try the poly, it will crack & peal.

o
RE: Getting the 'wet' look

agreed. the helmsman spar urethane will work on spindles and rails, but is not designed to tak foot traffic. Frankly, the only floor grade exterior urethane I know of is by sikkens. Its a true marine grade urethane so It'll last, but It'll run you about 80$ a QUART. not cheap, also, this stuff is going to be real, real slippery, especially in the rain and snow, even with shark grip or some other additive it's not really safe either, just some fyi's

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here