Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eze breeze windows.Do you like them?

Posted by elle481 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 14:13

After months of consulting with several contractors about enclosing our screen porch with windows to keep the rain from ruining expensive sun room furniture we bought for our last house (and doesn't belong on a screen porch), I got cold feet. I realized I still wanted to keep the look and feel of my porch but windows, even casements, would make it another interior room and I didn't want another room, plus the prices we were getting were outrageous. Plexiglas was not an option because our openings are too big and really wouldn't do the trick because we would have to put them up every night and have no easy place to store them.

I had an idea put tracks on the window posts and make shades our of clear vinyl and was trying to research the idea when I came across Eze-Breeze windows. After checking them out and pricing them (they were a fraction of the costs of windows), we are seriously considering them.

Do any of you have these type of windows installed on your porch? Do you like them and are they easy to use? How do the hold up after several years? We live in New England and get lots of snow and rain.

Thanks, Elle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eze breeze windows.Do you like them?

I have a porch with these windows and love them. When we bought them 5 years ago, the salesman said the most popular location for them was Chicago. We live in East Tennessee where we get @ 70" of rain a year and 0 temps sometimes in the winter. Plants will not winter over on the porch. We will start using the porch as soon as the temp warms in the spring and will use it til late fall. Our windows are tinted, they do make the room off of it darker-but keep things cooler in the summer. I have never taken the "windows" out and used it a true screen porch as storage of the windows would be a challenge. They can slide either up or down. I wash them in the spring and we're good to go. One is damaged from the dog-but can be easily replaced--it uses a spline system. We love the perch and the versility the system provides. They are custom fitted to your structure. Would definitely do it again.

o

Thanks for the follow-up Sewlutions, We have put our order in and hope to have the windows up in 2 weeks! The savings over windows was astounding. We were looking at $8K-$12K for windows where this will be well under $3K with installation plus the replacement of our screen door to a storm door. We opted for the clear windows and will keep our plastic roll-up binds to fend off the sun and heat.

o

elle481, can you tell me how large your porch is? And how many eze breeze windows you got for that price? I have a fairly modest sized porch (11x11) with only two sides needing windows (total of only 9 windows) and the price I was quoted was over $6k.

Thanks!

o

elle481, do you still like your windows after one year? i am considering installing them as well. jen5273, have you seen any other reviews besides this site?

o

Love EZE Breeze. bought mine from architectural glass in greer, sc and they shipped direct to me. was very pleased with the product and service. i bought the vertical 4 track but they are available in horizontal sliders too.

o

We installed 7 large eze breeze windows, one sliding door and one standard eze breeze door. The windows were a real bargain, but the sliding door was WAY overpriced for a single pane door (over $1000) and I think the standard door was in the neighborhood of $500! The windows though were around $250 each.
These windows work great even in cold Wisconsin weather and they are very bird friendly. We've had dozens of bird crash into them at full speed and they just bounce off. They don't hold one tiny bit of heat (basically no R factor) but we only use the room for three seasons. Read through our blog and you'll find more info and the whole story of how we built our three season room without a contractor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Three season room blog

o

Hi barman, that looks great! What did you use for the fixed window openings on top of your eze breeze panels? Also is your ezebreeze door inswing or outswing/ is there a choice?
thanks!

o

Hi again, I looked through your blog but there is no mention of the type of flooring that you used. Can you email me what you used through my contact information (click on my name) since I don't want to hijack this thread? thanks!

o

Scrappy 25, I have windows up top like the one pictured. Mine are the same vinyl as used in the windows..except they are stationary. Never had any problems and still love my windows.

o

Scrappy 25, I have windows up top like the one pictured. Mine are the same vinyl as used in the windows..except they are stationary. Never had any problems and still love my windows.

o

thanks sewlutions, did how did you get the top windows with the vinyl made, did your contractor do that?

o

Am having this type window installed on Florida lanai that is currently screened, to keep rain and dirt off porch. The contractor suggests the tinted vinyl, and says the clear will rot and discolor in much less time than tinted. Does anyone have an opinion? My neighbor has the tinted, it would make my kitchen dark.

o

I too am in Florida & am considering this product for my current lanai. I am also concerned about my kitchen being too dark, if I go with tinted.

o

Sorry scrappy25, haven't visited here lately. The Guy who came out to measure took care of the windows that are just framed in. They are at the top of the wall and I don't get them cleaned very often. Still love my porch and windows. See that HD is now offering these as a package for a porch. I would certainly choose these again.

o

Sorry scrappy25, haven't visited here lately. The Guy who came out to measure took care of the windows that are just framed in. They are at the top of the wall and I don't get them cleaned very often. Still love my porch and windows. See that HD is now offering these as a package for a porch. I would certainly choose these again.

o

Have had these windows...about 10 of them...for over 15 years. Love them!
I have torn a few of them by accident and taped them up temporarily.

Does anyone know if I can purchase the vinyl and spline to repair them myself?
Dealer is too far away for me to have them do repair

Any info would be appreciated

o

Inspired after I showed him EZE breeze online, my husband made vinyl stationary insert frames for our screened in porch last fall.

Treetops- He purchased the spline and aluminum at Lowes and Home Depot and the 12 mil poly vinyl sheeting on a roll (90 yards x 54 " for $130) from a store on ebay located in New York. He screwed the panels over the screens and will remove them after pollen season. They have certainly done their job so far this winter. The porch is clean, and we have been able to spend time out there on sunny days during this cold winter is Maryland.

o

Glad you got to enjoy this cold winter.

The windows I want to repair are the Ezebreeze ones and wondering if anyone has done this themselves and did they get the material from the manufacturer?

On a side note , for the last few years we have been covering our porch Ezebreeze window frames with a clear heat shrink plastic available in small rolls from Home Depot and other big box hardware stores. It comes with double sided clear tape. A snap to install and remove....and acts like a double window. Keeps us cozy and makes room a 4 season with aux heating/.

o

Hi,
We are thinking of adding these windows to a second story porch. Our contractor sprayed them with a garden hose and a stated they leaked through and now he has concerns about the structures underneath. Has anyone else had problems with rain and leaking? We are in southwest MN and this is for a lake cabin. Any quick replies would be appreciated as we are moving along with construction. Thank you!

o

I am putting these in and not one contractor is comfortable with a finished basement under the eze breeze porch for that reason unless expensive outdoor waterproof flooring was added. If your porch floor is already waterproof though there should not be an issue as long as the penetrations for the columns that support the windows are sealed.

Obviously you would also need a railing since these would not meet code for railing safely for the second floor.

o

We have a screened porch with the eze breeze windows - was built just a few months ago. Sure, if you spray a hose at them directly, no doubt there will be leaking. These things are not the same as glass. However, I would be surprised if you get anything, or more than a drop or two with most rains. Rain falling down is nothing like a big stream of water getting pointed horizontally directly at the window. If you have some overhangs, that would make water entering even less likely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here