Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elle481

Eze breeze windows.Do you like them?

elle481
12 years ago

After months of consulting with several contractors about enclosing our screen porch with windows to keep the rain from ruining expensive sun room furniture we bought for our last house (and doesn't belong on a screen porch), I got cold feet. I realized I still wanted to keep the look and feel of my porch but windows, even casements, would make it another interior room and I didn't want another room, plus the prices we were getting were outrageous. Plexiglas was not an option because our openings are too big and really wouldn't do the trick because we would have to put them up every night and have no easy place to store them.

I had an idea put tracks on the window posts and make shades our of clear vinyl and was trying to research the idea when I came across Eze-Breeze windows. After checking them out and pricing them (they were a fraction of the costs of windows), we are seriously considering them.

Do any of you have these type of windows installed on your porch? Do you like them and are they easy to use? How do the hold up after several years? We live in New England and get lots of snow and rain.

Thanks, Elle

Comments (318)

• Steve H
    2 years ago

Update to my post of over 10 years ago. We installed these in the summer of 2010 and they are still holding up fine for our use. We're many high wind storms, and even had an F0 tornado rip through here two years ago and a ferocious 65mph wind storm a week or two ago, but never any problems. Here is the original blood sweat and tears story of building our three-season room. https://www.barplan.com/three-season-room-plan/

• ineedsomespace
    2 years ago

I know the price will have increased, but how much per wall? So if I have two walls already(of my house) with two openings (no frames or anything - wide open), one 9x9 and the other 10x9, how much total for the project? Or does anyone know approximate cost per square foot of wall?

• CAK FL
    2 years ago

I just had these installed in my old screen porch 5 days ago. It was built several owners ago and probably isn't exactly level. I paid a local contractor appx $3000 to order and install them on the two sides that were screened, and a Larson pet storm door from Lowes (EZE breeze pet door was WAY too much!). The installer has to return a third time to complete some work as we switched the outswing storm door to swing in and had to order an inswing handle. I love the look, but in just the 5 days they have been in I've had problems. I hope they are fixable as I want them to work! After a night of unusually high wind, in two of the windows, the top panels dropped appx 1-2" (did not collapse the 4 panels). In a third window, the top panel fell and closed all panels below it (not the first time, this happened without wind right after install when contractor raised & lowered panels). Only two of the windows are actually level (when I put my long level on them), the others are slightly off level. The one that had all panels fall in the wind & during install, is level. It had a hole in the screen, and the screen was too tightly installed, so my contractor had to rescreen it. At first he thought it would not fit and would have to be returned/replaced, but when he released the spline, it fit the frame. It is the only one that is fairly easy for me to lift, the others do not slide easily at all. The contractor did not know why or how to fix it so the top panel would stay up. The frame has three brackets that are supposed to hold it, but they do not.. He finally got it to stay up, but it fell (collapsing all panes into the bottom pane)l during the wind and several times today when I tried sliding all panes back up! I finally got it to stay but doubt it will last if there is any pressure on it. Maybe it needs screws into the tract to just hold it permanently? Or a appx 50" dowel or aluminum post in the tract? For what they charge these should have fit and worked!

If anyone has had the problem with the top pane not staying up in the frame, please advise if you found a fix.

• ineedsomespace
    2 years ago

CAK FL such good information you shared! I am sorry you are having issues with your install and windows. My in-laws have these and they said they love them. Their backyard does not get much wind and they don't lower their windows often, so maybe that is why! Just to let others know, I was quoted $8,000 to install these on a 10x9 porch with two open walls. LOL LOL LOL. $3,000 seems about right for this type of job, so we are going to wait on this one unless we find a more reasonable estimate. Just wow!

• CAK FL
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I do love them, just hope they will work the kinks out or replace them if contractor can't figure out how make them work! I have about a 2" brick wall, so mine aren't all the way to floor, and the openings had supports and were already screened. My porch is larger than yours.I think 8K is pretty high for just windows and instal, but if they have to frame it around the windows, that may be the extra $$l. I was quoted 8K to rebuild the entire porch including a new panel roof.

• Jennifer Barton
    2 years ago

Im having the exact same problem as you, CAK. had them installed last fall and they continue to drop a bit at the top, leaving a one inch gap. i also have one particular top panel that continues to fall, taking all of the others down with it. Now it is refusing to stay up. i am going to be contacting the installer tomorrow to have them come back out and see what can be done to fix this. having to adjust each window on a daily basis is not what i signed up for.

• Anne Rossi
    2 years ago

I paid around $3500 back in 2007 for 5 windows and a storm door on a 9’x12’ covered porch that had a knee wall. They were great at first but with intense SC sun for 6+ hours a day, after about 12 years, they started to fall apart. Corners were coming apart, could never get them completely clean, rain started leaving permanent stains on them, top windows would not lock into top track. Finally replaced all of them with real Pella windows. Heard they are meant to last more than 12-15 years.

• Judy Cook
    2 years ago

I have this issue also. They also come lose and tilt in sometimes during high wind but I don’t believe they are made for the high wind in northern winter storms. I’ve used the product that the company recommended to help the panels slide better since they are now around 12 years old. I hope they last another 10 years because they were quite expensive.

• CAK FL
    2 years ago

Jennifer Barton if your installer has a solution please share! Mine didn't seem to know what the problem is.

• CAK FL
    2 years ago

Judy Cook what product did they recommend that you use?

• Jenny Golay
    last year

We have a porch with 12 - 7’ Eze-Breeze windows. I’m 73 and can’t open them most of the time.My husband has to stand on a chair to get them completely closed. In hindsight, it would have been better to pay extra for operable windows. Perhaps they’re easier to operate if they’re not so tall.

• CAK FL
    last year

I only open the bottom panel and mine slide well. The one window is still a problem and the installer is in contact with the seller to replace it under warranty. It hasn't completely fallen, the panels now stay up but the top panel won't stay at the top, it slips appx 1/4-1/2" down. I do like them and used a portable AC. It cooled the porch and removed the humidity for the several hours I had it on.

• CAK FL
    last year

I'm in early 70s& need ladder if I need to reach top panels. You may need to clean aluminum tracks to see if they glide easier. If they are new or in warranty contact the installer. There are several YouTube videos on how to clean, products, etc.

• Judy Cook
    last year

Alum-a-Lub which says it is for anything metal that sticks or squeaky. Smells like WD40.

• Liz Hutch
    last year

I've had to replace more than 30 of the thumb latches and ten of the slide bolts on mine. All of these are made out of cheap plastic, so they frequently snap if there's too much wind pressure blowing the windows inward. The latches are a ridiculous design because you have to use your thumbs to push each towards the frame's center from the side frame and held them that way while you pull down on the window simultaneously with your other fingers, which usually means you end up also putting some downward pressure on the latches at the same time, causing the tiny clips to snap. I wouldn't be so upset about it if the replacement parts were reasonably priced -- I mean, how expensive is it to produce a plastic "clip" that's 2 1/2cm by 1/2cm? Apparently a lot because the price went up about .50 cents since I bought them last year. The latches themselves are now $1.50 apiece, PLUS shipping. If they were .50 cents apiece I wouldn't complain so much, but this is absurd when it can't cost them a penny each to manufacture (never mind that the company doesn't even include directions for replacing them -- thanks YouTubers for saving the day!).

When they work, I really enjoy the screened porch, but the quality of the most basic, and most essential, working parts should not rely on flimsy plastic and absolutely not cost so much to replace when they break pretty frequently. It almost makes me want to buy a 3D printer so I can just make them myself. And at these prices and rate of replacement, it might be worth it.

Cosmetically, if not functionally, I do like the way they look overall.

• CAK FL
    last year

The problem window that I have still will not latch at the top. I have four panels that slide upward, not panels that slide side to side. The installer has not been able to correct this, and has contacted other installers but not received any helpful information. They filed to under the warranty to get a replacement panel last July. My windows were installed in March. They ordered the panel, were told by their local distributor that the manufacturer denied the warranty claim, and we hadn't heard anything in over two months. My installer finally called the local distributor who contacted the manufacturer and the manufacturer found the order sitting on someone's desk and put it in last week. My installer said they would pay for the entire replacement panel. This made me really mad, so I filed an online warranty complaint with ezy Breeze saying exactly what had happened. I will get a new window insert complete with the screen the frame etc, but I told them that with a 10-year warranty there was no way that either me or the installer should have to pay anything! I do love the windows.

I have five of those installed on my screen porch, and only one of them continues to malfunction. When I receive any response from my warranty from easy Breeze I will post what happens.

• HU-332096573
    last year

I just turned my screened in porch into a 3 season room about a month ago. 6 EZ breeze windows and so far no issues. I have not had any problems cleaning them yet and I have a puppy that has jumped on them a couple times. no holes. couple of nose smudges that's about it. They are easy to open and close and so far no problems at all

• bbdoll01
    last year

Just wait

• bbdoll01
    last year

worst purchase ever. wish we had just gone ahead and bought regular windows and added heat and air and had an all season room.

• Judy Cook
    last year

I totally agree. They were the biggest disappointment in a long time, and costly at that.

• Kathy n/a
    last year

was told by another person a while back that I must be promoting a window company and was torpedoing the EzBreeze windows because I chose tiit-in double hung thermal windows. I truly resented his accusations. All because of my choice. But I did my do diligence and after a couple years I'd reading these messages from customers who spent their money on Ezbreeze and what they were dealing with my decision was made. Our screened in upper deck was transformed to a all season room for $8,000 which included removing screens, adding tilt-in double hung windows, insulation, electrical, lighting, carpet and padding and new doors. Today I enjoy my room daily with no worries of will windows come clean, how do I clean them, something breaking off them or family per destroying one and so on. I love the them. That in itself is good enough for me. And there are people who purchased EZBreeze and are happy. Good for them. Just check it all out. Be happy with your choice.

• CAK FL
    last year

My porch wasn't suitable to insulate for all seasons so I opted for eze breeze. There are other similar products available. My installer offered EB and they do maintain them (replace vinyl if needed). I've used a portable AC and it made the porch comfortable, took out the humidity too. The u it also heats but not sure I'd use porch much if it gets too cold. Not saying pro or con right now, but research and get what suits your needs!

• jkm6712
    last year

We designed our porch with EZBreeze included. Because of weight considerations, we also had to sign a document stating that we were 100% responsible for any damages incurred if we switched them out for glass. Make sure your porch foundation can support the weight of anything you want to add.

• HU-418739265
    11 months ago

I have an Eze-Breeze porch in my current house (moved here in 2020) and had one in my last house as well (4 years). I live in SC. We had the one in our last house installed by a dealer and our current house already had one. At both houses, the sunrooms measured about the same - approximately 12’ x 20’. The windows are verticle 3 panels 8 ’ tall. Both rooms have the Eze-Breeze storm door. The current one was installed about 20 years ago and still looks and works great!

I have read most of the comments here and feel I might be able to add some advice. The plastic clips do need to be replaced from time to time as they get brittle with age, but it is easy and inexpensive. The only time you really need to use the clips is to tilt the window out for cleaning, not to slide them up or down. If the windows blow out in the wind, they are likely not latched properly. If the top window won’t stay up or leaves a gap, it’s probably not locked in the clamps which are at the top of the frame. The clamps could be defective, but I find I have to slide all panels upward with some force to lock the top window in place. I clean mine in the Spring using plain water and e-cloths, which work great! You can get them on Amazon. Use one wet cloth to clean the panel and a dry one to polish. The vinyl protectant they sometimes recommend leaves streaks. I dont remove the panels to clean them; I slide them all down, tilt them in, clean the outside one at a time, slide each one back up being careful to slide in the clip so each window overlaps the one above, and once they are all back in place, I clean all the inside panels. Once a year, I spray a microfiber cloth with silicone spray and lube the tracks.

I have to say I love my Eze-Breeze porch! Cleaning them is a bit time consuming, but it gets easier the more you do it. The most important first step for your Eze-Breeze is to have it installed by a licensed contractor who is experienced in measuring and installing the product. I hope this helps! Best of luck!

• CAK FL
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I found e-cloth at Target and was amazed how well they work, dirty panel is on the left

• HU-418739265
    11 months ago

Yes! I love them and use them on all my windows now!

• hudsongrl
    10 months ago

Live in a brand new home with these on a sun porch. Love the fact we can use the porch 3 seasons but hate these windows. We only open the bottom of the 4 panels because they are a pain the butt. You cannot clean them from outside either because screens are fixed. They must be popped out from the inside and hard for us to get them back on the tracks. These are tricky and at 68 years old do not like anything fiddly. Sometimes the top panel won’t stay locked and we have to get a step stool to try and get those to re-close. Personally would not choose these. Pain in the butt.

• HU-983244891
    8 months ago

I totally agree! Love the look of the porch but it is a nightmare trying to put the windows back in after cleaning. Mine also pop open, especially if it's really windy outside. I would not have chosen these if I had know what a pain they are.

• HU-418739265
    8 months ago

You actually don’t need to remove them to clean them. Just slide them all down and tilt them in by unlatching them. That’s the only time you need to use the little latches, not to slide them up and down. I suspect if they are blowing in, the latch is not popped back into the track. I have had them in both of my houses in SC and they have never blown in even during a bad storm. The ones in my current home are almost 20 years old snd still look and work great. I use e-cloths and water only to clean. I love them!

• HU-983244891
    8 months ago

You are very lucky that you can clean so easily. If I try to do as you ask they all fall out. If you go on their site they have a video that shows you how to take them out and how convenient that they don't show you how to put them back in. I did ONE section of cleaning and it took me close to 45 minutes to put them back in. Even then they don't line up correctly and yes I did put them back in the exact spot they were in before. My top panel on two of my windows also won't lock correctly - constantly having to get a ladder to fix. Never again...

• HU-418739265
    8 months ago

How to Clean Eze-Breeze Windows

Follow these steps for maximum cleaning performance.

• Step 1: Make sure the windows are cool before you wash them.
    • Step 2: Vacuum the frame using a soft brush attachment.
    • Step 3: Hose off the exterior of your Eze-Breeze windows to remove loose dirt and debris.
    • Step 4: If the frames and tracks need cleaning, use a soft cloth and clean water to wipe them clean.
    • Step 5: Close all of your vents.
    • Step 6: Start with the bottom panel, raise it about one inch, release the thumb latches, and tilt it in, resting it on a chair.
    • Step 7: Lower the remaining two panels by raising the bottom panel an inch, repeating Step 6, and letting the second panel rest down on the first panel. Repeat Step 7 for the last panel.
    • Step 8: Start with the top panel. Use a lint-free cloth rinsed with clean water to apply the Eze-Breeze® or DIY cleaner (see above).
    • Step 9: Be sure the panel is dry and free of spots before putting it back in place and moving on to the next panel.
  • HU-418739265
    8 months ago

Here’s a video showing the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJTuHVxk0mU

• CAK FL
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

The video is good to show you don't fully remove them from the track. If they do come out, just slant them slightly to put the bottom back in. The top tabs sometimes stick so be sure you push the tabs towards the frames after putting the top back in. The top frame can be a major PIA as it is difficult to make it stay in the top & not slide down. I have to slide & slam it into the top. Even then sometimes one side won't stay. I VERY CAREFULLY take a pole with a rubber top and put it under the frame where it's slipping & give it a hard shove. That's worked for me.

These aren't perfect but they're great to keep out dust & dampness that destroys finishes, cheaper & safer than glass & don't require a permit (leading to building code stuff, esp in FL these days). My portable AC unit cools it off in the miserable days of heat advisories/warnings we're having now! I attached a pic. The vent panel in the window is not permanent, and is not really easy to rig in it, but it works! When I no longer need AC I remove the panel and shut the window. My portable unit also heats, but I do not use it on the porch in the winter.

If you don't want to fool with rigging the vent for a portable AC unit, depending on how your porch, sunroom is built, you could look into getting a small mini split unit installed.

• HU-418739265
    8 months ago

Great idea with the A/C! We sometimes open the porch door to the house for heat or A/C, which works pretty well for short periods. To make sure the top window latches, I lower all 4 windows and then slam them upwards with some force. And yes, be sure to push the clips outwards towards the frames to ensure they are back in place, otherwise strong wind could potentially push a panel inwards.

• HU-418739265
    8 months ago

• C B
    8 months ago

Just an update 2 years since my last one. My eze breeze windows are still great. Glad to see the tips on cleaning them. Mine are overdue for a good once over.

• 3katz4me
    7 months ago

Can you just remove the panels and have a regular screen porch? I've always thought these would be a PITA and it sounds like they are. We're looking at a buying a house that has these and really all we want is a screen porch so if the panels can be removed we'd be in good shape.

• CAK FL
    7 months ago

Yes you can remove the panels and have only screens, but I bought them for the panels to keep the Florida moisture and humidity out and they do that very well. I open one or two panels when the weather is nice. Panels also keep dust and dirt out.

• HU-297520485
    7 months ago

. .

• HU-524980501
    7 months ago

You can but the rain and dust come in. As much as I dislike them I would rather clean them 2x in spring/late fall than be without them.

• HU-983244891
    7 months ago

I have had these windows for almost two years. It is the worst decision I've made for my house. They are horrible to open, let alone clean. I don't care what their video shows, they are a pain to clean and have to take them apart to do so. I did one set of windows a few weeks ago and it took me 45 minutes to put them back. Easy my butt! I would not recommend nor would I get again if needed.

• Jenny Golay
    7 months ago

I have mixed feelings — they provide more use of our porch than if we’d just gone with a screened porch. This year we started opening only the bottom panels and using our ceiling fan. The ventilation was excellent and they were easy to open and close. However, I miss the big open effect of opening them down from the top. To close them when they were opened from the top, my husband had to use a stepstool and, at 5’4”, I couldn’t close them completely. After having them for 5 years we still haven’t tackled cleaning the vinyl so our view is getting more blurry — we’re afraid something will break. In retrospect, I wish we’d originally paid the extra $15-$20k for windows and winterizing so we could enjoy the room year-round — to retrofit now would probably cost 2-3 times that amount. Live and learn!

• Scott Robinson
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Garbage This is the second set of windows,

• bbdoll01
    2 months ago

I would never buy them again. Besides the latches being made of such cheap plastic, they are a pain to clean. I think they cheapened the look of our home.

• HU-524980501
    2 months ago

I’ve commented a few times already. They were a huge disappointment. The latches break so easy and I KNOW how to be careful. The product they tell you to use on them makes them smeary does not work. I clean with distilled water and a dab of Dawn (what else?😀) and rinse with distilled water. I have 12, 4-paneled windows, so it is a huge job to do it right. The only upside is They are a step above purely screened-in windows, and cheaper to buy I suppose.

• lsemartha
    last month

I have EZ breeze surround (3 sides).. no complaints… I like that the sunroom is, just that, a sunroom.. delightful.

• thumpershaw
    yesterday

Has anyone discovered the best place to buy the replacement parts? i just paid $35 for 5 springs and 5 small latches. $12.99 of that was for shipping and handling.

• Matt
    23 hours ago

Anyone use these in the northeast to create a 3 season room? We are looking to extend our season by using the fireplace in our screened porch (16'x16'). Wondering how well these keep heat IN?

• Jenny Golay
    21 hours ago

They don’t protect from the cold and can get hot in the summer unless windows are open. Our porch in Western Massachusetts is like a refrigerator all winter. We can use it 5-6 months a year. I’m not sure it would be safe to have a working fireplace near vinyl windows. My friends with removable storm windows have a much warmer porch. However, it is nice to have a weathertight area where our furniture is safe year round.

• HU-524980501
    19 hours ago

These windows will not give you a three-season room. As commented above, my porch is very cold in winter, even on a sunny day. In my opinion, they are only a short step above having only screens.