Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mahogany as deck material

Posted by jmt_boston (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 13:41

I've done a little digging but haven't seen much on this site ion the use of mahogany as a decking material. I'm building a deck in a shady spot in my yard in the Northeastern US. The patio it's replacing was heavily mossy. How will mahogany hold up? How does it compare in price to something like ipe?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mahogany as deck material

Mahogany is commonnly used for porch material in your area.

Aside from that, I'm not too sure about how it compares in cost to Ipe.

When I've visited New England I was surprised to see so much Mahogany used for porches, even in new construction. I believe it holds up extremely well in that climate.

Out here in CA, I've seen some older park benches made of Mahogany. It holds up in this climate about as well as Old Growth Redwood. That is 30+ years.

o

Mahogany is a good decking material, but very expensive.
Be careful though, as some suppliers sell Lauan as Mahogany.
Lauan is also called Phillipine Mahogany, but it's not good for external use, and it isn't Mahogany.

steve

o

We're by boston and have Mahogany. As long as you have good ventilation under the deck your good to go. Also, make sure you use a stain that is designed for hard wood like cabots. Behr, Thompson, Olympic stains won't soak in. I made that mistake. TPW looks great on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here