Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sopan12345

Soliciting Deck Ideas

sopan
14 years ago

Hi,

I need some advice regarding a new deck. We just moved into a new home and found out that our builder is building a small 9x9 deck for us. This deck is under construction as I write this. I would like to increase the size of this deck and would like to solicit some advice. I have included a picture of the house with half built deck and some creative markings of my ideas.

What I was thinking was to expand the deck directly outwards away from the home going towards the back property line. This will give the kids some area to play. The expansion would be on another level and maybe step or two below the builderÂs deck. The size of the new deck (excluding the builders 9x9) would be 9x17. I was thinking that there would be no railings between the builderÂs deck and the new deck, just wide steps (length of the deck). The lower deck would then open up to the backyard (from one side only and there would be wide (length of the deck) step or two.

I was thinking that maybe we should have two benches 4 and 6 feet each on each side of the 9x17 railings. Also, 3 planter box on the side of the deck which opens up to the backyard, one on each corner and one in the middle. At some point, I would add trees on the property line to create some privacy from side and back neighbors

Since I have never had a deck or a patio for that matter, I was hoping someone can give come constructive criticism of this plan.

Also wondering if someone can give an idea of cost of something like this?

Thank you for your help.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (7)

• riles_j
    14 years ago

I think what you talking about doing sounds reasonable. When I first looked at this I was thinking it might be nice to wrap the deck around the back, but you would have be careful with how it interfaces with the bay window.

How big is your yard? What do you plan on doing in the yard? Do you have any sort of landscaping plan? I think you would be advised to come up with an overall plan to make sure everything works together. When I was designing my deck I hired a landscape designer to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something and that I wouldn't regret my deck decision. It cost me only $300 and I thought it was definitely worth it. They had some great insight into the big picture and I was able to tweak my design a bit. Just a thought.

Riles

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

There was plenty of natural landscaping including trees until the developer scRAPED the whole area to a void of vegetation. Looks like another Toll Bros disaster. Where did the birds and butterflies go to?

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Srecr, get your left wing silly ass back over to the diet watercress site. J.

• tool_fool
    14 years ago

If the birds and butterflies flew up your ass you'd know where they went.

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

If you find a square box sitting on a scRAPED piece of land with no greenery attractive, I feel sorry for you.

• tool_fool
    14 years ago

There is a happy medium for people to co-exist with trees and even butterflies. You strike me as a dipsh*t hippie who blames advancing civilation for every problem we have. Meanwhile, you stroke the keys on your computer without a thought about what timber, electricity, plastic and humans do to improve your very life. At least that's how you strike me. I could be WAY off though.

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Naaaa this guy likes to highlight rape probley just some fagmonkey with nothing else to do. It knows nothing about building or decks just likes to hang around and post stupid stuff. These trols are normal on any site. J.