Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
polymeric sand to fill in concrete expansion joints

Posted by two_munkeys (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 12:47

Has anyone done this? How does it look? What is the longevity? Can it be sealed along with the concrete? I know I could use caulking, but I don't think that looks very good. The application is for our large stamped concrete patio, but I'm tempted to do the driveway also.

The ants/anthills are ridiculous this year and I'm tired of battling them. I'd like to take care of this problem once and for all. (Ok, once for the year at least!).

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: polymeric sand to fill in concrete expansion joints

Expansion joints should have some sort of expansive material to allow for movement between the pieces of concrete. Your best bet is use some backer rod and silicone joint sealant. The backer rods purpose is just to save money on sealant. The sealant will actually serve adhere to the concrete and expand and contract with the slabs. The sealant should keep moisture and ants/dirt out of the joint.

Riles

o

Thank you for your reply.

I realized after I posted that I used the wrong term. I meant the saw cuts, not expansion joints. Does that change the answer?

o

These control joints should not be effected by putting the polymeric sand in them. Their sole purpose is to create a weakened plane in the concrete to control the cracking. I have never seen the polymeric sand used in this manner. Maybe someone else will chime in. I would think silicone or some other crack sealant would be more appropriate. Have you checked whats available at the local home improvement store?

Riles

o

Hold on ya little Buckaru....this whole thing is about Ants???

If so no amount of anything placed into the expand joints is going to help. You need to drift on over to the home depo and get>>>>>Terro ant killer <<< Its a real pleasure to see the little buggers go for this stuff. Borax mixed with their fav or et food. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here