Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

Please help us decide on sunroom options!

CJ Mac
11 years ago

We're going crazy with indecision. Here are the options:

1. Painter/handyman will paint our wood-framed sunroom (see photo below) and replace rotted wood posts as needed for about $450. BUT we have to fix/replace screens as needed and we're not handy and our DIY attempt at replacing the bottom screens didn't go all that easily. (We used those plastic strips from Home Depot that were supposed to be easy to install, but weren't for us.)

2. We could have the wood painted and a screen company make pop-out screens for us. They would install latches so we could take the screens out for repair when necessary. I think they quoted $1200 for all new screens, but we could just have the bottom screens done for now.

3. We could have the wood painted and get screeneze screens installed by the screen company for $1500. We wonder how difficult/expensive it might be to replace screens if damaged.

For the above options, there is the additional question of what to do about those wood posts: I would like to take them out and replace with brown plastic privacy lattice--to keep stray animals from scratching the screens. Painter doesn't like the look of trellis and wants to just replace wood posts as needed. But 3rd option would be if pet screening would eliminate the need for either posts or lattice.

4. We could get an entirely aluminum system for $2500. Painter thinks this is way too much money that we don't need to spend and points out that aluminum will still need painting after it becomes faded and shabby looking. (And I wonder if I can attach blinds to an aluminum frame.)

Can you help? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comment (1)

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a view of those plastic strips I installed on the bottom. (Removing and tossing the original wood frame.) Not having the correct tools available, it was difficult--and then getting the screen in nice and tight was very difficult.

Wanted dark brown but it's not available. If we keep, painter will use a special paint on them to match the wood frame.