Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Balusters won't fit in angled stair railing.

Posted by daveb_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 12:32

I am replacing about 5 foot of railing on my front prorch steps using a Severe Weather Deluxe Rail kit and balusters from Lowe's.
The balusters only fit in the holes in the rails if the two rails are parallel. When I mount the rails on the stairs they are at an angle and the balusters, which remain perpindicular to the ground won't fit in the holes.

Here's a few pictures: (http://www.anykey.net/porch/one.jpg, http://www.anykey.net/porch/two.jpg, http://www.anykey.net/porch/three.jpg)

I've tried enlarging the hole but that is sloppy. It seems that there is something obvious that I'm missing.

I'm not a handyman and except for hanging pictures this is my first go at it. Sure would appreciate any advice anybody has to offer.

Thanks,
Dave B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Balusters won't fit in angled stair railing.

daveb 2008,
I'm sure you know that most prefarbicated rail kits are available two ways. One for a straight run and the other for steps. They are different.
Are you sure you have the right kit? Does it say step kit?

Check it out.

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

You got it porch guy, different kit for stairs that have bigger holes.

Al

o

I agree with the others that the holes should be larger; however, I speak from experience on some Severe Weather railing purchased from Lowe's that my "stair" kits were not. As I had special ordered them and the packaging had been rained on, etc, I used a "-b-a-s-t-a-r-d" mill file (Gardenweb apparently doesn't like the word) to enlarge the rectangular hole, actually mostly just to modify the angle of the downslope side of the "hole". The balusters fit snugly, but they look great after 2 years. These railings were pricey, but they look just as good as the day they were installed with no maintenance and are a nice contrast to the ipe on my front porch. Good Luck with your project.

o
angle brackets for severe weather stair rails

does severe weather make ajustable brackets for upper and lower rails

o
removal

I installed flat rail on my porch and when i was done my wife noticed a crack in one of the baluster hole
and i want to remove it and replace it could someone tell me how remove the section of handrail how do you release those tabs and take the section out

o

daveb,
I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to your severe weather stair railing issue? I'm running into the exact same problem and the frustration levels are at an all-time high! Any advice/suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
THANKS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here