Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipe Stain questions

Posted by nelson_ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 12:29

Hi Everyone:

I was a regular on this forum a few years ago, while building my Ipe deck, and I know how much help I got from everyone here. Counldn't have done it with everyone's help.

Now I need to re-stain my deck after 2 years. I plan to use the RAD system, but have a few questions:
1) Is there anything new as far as stain for Ipe? I know about TWP 116. Anything else new and maybe better? I used Woodzodic the last time.
2) I have about 2 Gallons of the Woodzodic stain left from 2 year ago, if I get TWP 116, can I mix them together?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipe Stain questions

The Ken was just puting on different lables from www.woodrich-brand.com.

Outdoor finish 2 years old is not going to give you good service. J.

o

Thanks John. Glad to see you are still around, keeping newbies straight. Will take the advice, buy all new and not mix any. If the stuff from woodrich is what woodzotic was, I know that's what I will use again.

o

They are a pretty good outfit with a good question area on the site. I have used the finish but I still put on TWP for several reasons. J.

o

John: 1 more question: Do you do the wet on wet process with the TWP 116? Can I wait for it to completely dry before applying the 2nd coat?

o

Defentley,They dont really mean you have to walk around on finish thats not set up. In fact you can put the second coat on a week or a month later. Remember the more coats go on the longer it takes to set up.

Just use the sprit of a sound mind. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here