Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patti55

Restoring gray garapa with EFC-38

patti55
14 years ago

We are finally done building a very large garapa deck after 2 years. There are 3 different conditions of garapa which I am trying to prep for staining.

1) new unfinished wood which is gray.

2) older finished wood (which is in shade) that has been cleaned with EFC-38 and Citralic, but still has moderate tint in the wood.

3)oldest wood which has been stained and is mostly failing, with some gray.

I started with EFC on the new gray wood and it did not remove the gray. I then tried it with EFC and gentle powerwashing, with no change. I then tried EFC with more aggressive power washing on two boards, and it did remove the gray, but it raised the grain. I have been told that all I need to do is put the Citralic on the boards and the gray will "go away". This does not make sense to me, because I can see how the board looks when the powerwasher actually removed the gray vs the other gray boards. I thought it was the EFC which removed the gray. I don't want to just brighten the gray wood and paint over it do I?

Any suggestions? Should I double the strength of the EFC? Would HD-80 do a better job?

I bought some HD-80 for the wood which is cleaned, but still has a strong tint. I was told that the HD-80 will help take the tint out.

Since the oldest wood has some gray in it, I am not sure how to proceed. EFC-38 or HD-80? Light power-washer?

I would really hate to resand because in total it is about 1200 sq ft. I sanded it in stages as we built, and it about killed my 53 y/o back.

Thanks for some suggestions.

Comments (3)