Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porch Screening Alternatives to Aluminum.

Posted by chulaman (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 11:47

I am building a new house in Florida with a large back porch that has two screened areas. For low maintenance I have almost all exterior surfaces made out of something other than wood. I have HBG colums and porch ceiling, Azek Trim, Hardie Soffit, brick floor, etc. I would hate to clutter up the look with large aluminum screen supports or lose the low maintenance characteristics by using wood.

Does anyone know of a good system for anchoring screening systems other than wood or aluminum channels. Screen tight and similar products are interested but i still faced with how to attach the channels.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porch Screening Alternatives to Aluminum.

What about vinyl.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinyl screening

o

I think I'm going with this. I haven't seen it in person yet, but it sound great. I talked to one of the owners on the phone he was very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito curtain

o

That mosquito screen looks like just the thing-- I live in Florida too and it gets old looking out through screening all the time. You'll enjoy the flexibility!

I wonder if there is enough weight on the hem of the curtains to keep them from billowing in on you with every breeze? I once had roll-up shades and had a heck of a time keeping those things from blowing in... Let me know-- these curtains have definitely piqued my interest!

Jane

o

Thanks freedee for the Mosquito curtain link. I really want a permanent solution as I have screen doors planned and have planned an unscreened front porch and an unscreened portion of the back porch.

My experience on my present house near Orlando is that an unscreened porch is a maintenance issue I wish to avoid.

Screen tight is interesting but requires the wood framing I am trying to avoid so for now I am somewhat resigned to using white aluminum channels.

Has anynone used ScreenEze?

Here is a link that might be useful: Screen Eze

o

Can you still buy copper screening?

o

This is not an alternative to Aluminum, but shows the almost limitless ways that the enclosures can be installed. Take a look at our web site. www.hanscreen.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansen Screen Enclosures Inc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here