Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maizenbluedoc

One Time Wood Protectant

maizenbluedoc
17 years ago

Has anyone had experience using this product? I perused Consumer Reports and didn't see this product listed among the 20 tested. Just curious whether this deck treatment is legitimate or a bogus claim of 7 year warranty.

Comments (17)

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg041253465452.html?20

or click below.. this topic has been brought up many times. Every professional I know says the same thing I do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link on this forum talking about One Time

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Ken Mon,I cant belive those guys are still trading money they must have some high $ lawyers. J

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Charging what they charge they can afford it.

John, your supplies were back ordered and I just got them in. I am shipping out Monday for you.

• tninos
    17 years ago

Just curious...what does that mean? Can you eloborate?Pressurep.....Three weeks now so far so good. It went on very eaisly and looks great to this point. I know it early but I did meet a guy in my neighborhood that applied it to his pressure treated wood deck almost 2 years ago and his still looks great.
    Thanks for your input!

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

I have exhausted my opinion on products like this. Time will tell.

• tninos
    17 years ago

I was just curious about the Lawyer comment. Did they get sued?

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

tninos,we are not going into this again. J

• finefinishes
    17 years ago

Just let everyone know about this product and any other product in that fact I can elaborate on. Bonds One Time Wood is a state of the art formulation containing no water or any types of oils, It does what it says it does, I have been using this product for 6 years now and wont ever use anything else. Trial and error, products like cabot, cwf, bennie moore anything else under $30.00 is useless. I use only the best for my customers!!

• nra4usa
    17 years ago

I have found One Time to work great.

Here are some major tips:

The Cedar Red is pretty darn red. In my opinion it only looks good with a white house (house with white siding).

There is only one difference between Clove Brown and Natural. The have the exact same pigment. The difference is that Clove Brown has 6 times the amount of pigment as the Natural. More pigment = more protection from sunlight which means less fading.

I highly recommend One Time in Clove Brown. Still looks like new after 5 years.

All of the above is from my very own personal experience.
    Those people who say One Time does not work have never used it.

• tl.anderson
    15 years ago

We used "One Time" six years ago on our large north facing northern michigan deck. We used the clove brown and it was originally very dark brown but faded nicely over the years. Our deck has held up very well over the years and I like the way that One Time fades naturally. This year we have decided to restain and the process is very easy. We power washed the deck and are in the process of applying One Time with a roller and brush. I find this product very easy to work with and am greatly satisfied with the results. It gives a nice natural look to our deck and the low maintenace factor can't be beat! I'm not sure why there are negative posts on this product. The only downside is price, but ease of application and product endurance under extreme conditions (northern michigan winters) outweighs the price.

• zoey677
    15 years ago

Two years ago I used this product on a brand new deck, which was prepped according to the instructions. One year after application, it started to fade. By year 2, the fading was significant.

The person who built my house (also a friend) even commented on the deck needing to be redone.

I also noticed that many of the boards were cracking a lot. This was something that OneTime states will be prevented. When it rains, I can watch the water soak into the wood and swell up.

I called One Time about the warranty. In a nutshell, I was told that I should buy more of their product and re-coat the deck. They didn't want to see any photos of the deck. They wouldn't send me any free product, and they say that the deck is still protected.

Absolutely horrible.

• dave4270
    15 years ago

It is interesting to read these many posts and observe so many different results with the One Time Wood and other popular deck care products mentioned in the discussions.
    All deck stains can give wildly different results depending on application techniques, conditions, and even exposure to rain immediately before and after application. We use One Time for our clients, both on decks, and wood siding projects with only excellent results.
    I am assuming we are talking about typical treated lumber. We would need a longer discussion if this was Ipe, Mahogany, or other exotic hardwood. New deck wood is, many times, practically "polished" from the milling process, and allows very little of a sealer or stain to soak in if the wood is not properly prepared. That may be why it faded so quick.

Splitting or cracking of the boards is usually caused when the deck is built with the typically available wet wood (treated lumber)that usually contains from 40%-70% moisture content. Unless the wood is unbundled, stacked and dried for weeks prior to building, the result is cracking and future warping as the wood dries too quickly in the sun.

Zoey, I would not give up on the One Time. No stain can guarantee against fade, and I think you will get a better result after the second application. One Time usually goes 4-5 years before we refresh color in the darker colors, but the natural is sometimes faded after 3-4 on an open deck. I do think the wood is well protected beyond when it is faded. We have tested many different paint products and wood finishes over the years, and One Time gives us the best longest lasting protection of any deck stain product we have tested.

We must change the way we are building decks, and take it step by step, first drying the wood, then coating the bottoms of the board and sealing the saw-cut end grains before the deck is built. Once the deck is built, you can never seal the end grain properly, and water is continually soaked in. Many times the deck is so close to the ground, we can't get to the underside. This is one of my biggest frustrations as a painter. I know that is long answer, but I hope this helps anyone planning to build a new deck with treated lumber.

Below is a great article about proper drying of typical treated lumber for new decks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Proper Drying of Treated Lumber

• h2oskier
    15 years ago

Does one time have a web site?

• dave4270
    15 years ago

There is a lot of information about One Time at paintsource.net. The One Time site is onetimewood.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Time Wood Protector

• willywonka2
    15 years ago

DAVE4270, what do you use, or what is the process of sealing the end grain? What would you do for existing exposed end grain on cedar?

• tjmax
    15 years ago

I found all of the past postings on "One-Time" very helpfull and informative. My deck was installed 4 years ago and is a product called Red Mangaris. I've sanded it when put down and coated it with Rose Wood Oil, which was recomended for Brizilizn Hardwoods. After a short period of time the deck, which had a fine grained rich mahogony look when initially coated, started to turn a blackish color. The Rosewood Oil Manufacturer made a few application recomendations, which I followed last year, but the end result was the same. Needless to say I'm not happy with the end result and am looking into using "one Time". I spoke to the manufacturer of "One-Time" and they were very helpful. They advised striping the deck with their stripper product and utalizing a pigmented stain. They sent some stain samples and I'm going to try a few.

Has anyone used Rosewood oil on hardwood decking and had a similar "blackish" end result? (It is not mold)

Will the one time stripper product remove the rosewood oil from the existing hardwood deck properly? Should I strip it twice?

Marangis Redwood is similar in hardness to Ipe. Experience and results of using "One-Time" on similar hardwoods is appreciated.

• info_paintsource_net
    15 years ago

Many times, an initial application of an oil stain will not absorb due to the high density and oil content of unweathered Ipe, Mahogany, Tigerwood, Ironwood, etc. Some have drying issues leading to buildup and blackening, especially after multiple coats.
    I would choose One TIME Wood Protector to treat the deck once it is properly prepared.

Even though a previous sealer may have worn away and appear to be gone, it is important to use a chemical deck stripper to remove all traces of a previous product.

Many stain strippers are similar in chemical make-up. This is not like furniture stripper. It is a water rinsable product applied by garden sprayer and scrubbed a little.

After rinsing you should neutralize and brighten the wood with an oxalic acid wood brightener.

If wood is fuzzed after stripping , allow to dry a day, then consider Dust-Free Deck Sanding. Even some spot hand sanding is sometimes warranted.

Allow wood to dry 2-3 days drying before applying the One TIME Wood Protector.