Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing an Ipe Deck - Partially Covered

Posted by hurstdp (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 11:33

I have an ipe deck, and about 1/3 of it is covered. I put TWP100 on it a year or so ago, but it has now worn off except for the covered area. We had the deck pressure-cleaned, but there is still sealer on the area that is covered.

Here are my questions:

1. Will a tinted version of TWP provide more protection, specifically UV protection? We used clear last time because we like the color of the ipe as it is. Does the TWP 116 change the color much?

2. Should we use the TWP stripper to take off the remaining sealer under the covered area, so that it all looks uniform?

3. If we use the stripper, would we also need a brightener, or is that overkill?

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing an Ipe Deck - Partially Covered

NO clear or natural finish has Any uv protection.

The covered area will always weather less than the uncovered area. J

o

John,

If we use a stripper, do you also recommend using a brightener? What products do you recommend for that? Thanks!

o

When using a stripper you always use the brightner for a lot of reasons.

www.woodrich-brand.com not bad outdoor finish with a good question area. They also sell strippers/brightner.
J.

o

If the sealer you use doesn't have pigment in it, the wood will turn gray or silver where it is exposed to the sun.
I am more familiar with Woodrich Hardwood Wiping Stain on exotic hardwoods. They have a color, Amaretto, that looks very natural on Ipe. It looks about the color of new ipe when it is damp.
If you are going to use a stripper, which it sounds like you need to, you should use the brightener. The brightener also neutralizes the wood so it will accept the finish better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodrich Brand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here