Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nail stains

Posted by thinkstoomuch (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 11:06

Hi All,
I purchased a home several years ago, and finally have the time to restore the porch flooring. I am told it is mahogany wood, although I am certain it can't be top notch quality. My problem is that (typical of the rest of the house) it was not installed properly. My assumption is that they used a nail gun to install. Whatever nails they used, they have caused black stains on the wood. Every single nail.

I have used Restore-A-Deck (had on hand), and it did nothing for the stains. In fact they stand out even more now because the rest of the wood is now brighter.

So, what product can I use to remove those stains? My plan is to use Penofin as the finish. I have an Ipe deck with Penofin and I'm happy with it (thanks for all your help here on this forum!). I'm hoping the Penofin will look just as nice on the mahogany, although I am open to suggestions if you have any.

Thanks,
Kim

Thanks for all your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nail stains

The black stains are from extractives in the wood reacting with the nail and leaching out. Some people call these tannin stains. You would use a wood brightener to remove them. I use Citralic Brightener/Neutralizer, it has always worked well.
With the Restore-A-Deck system, that would be your step 2. Do you have a picture of the stains?
If you still have some of your step 2, try mixing a little bit to test. When the wood is dry, dab some of your step 2 on a few of the spots with a brush. Allow the product to dry on the stain then rinse it off.
Because these stains are cased by extractives leaching out from within the wood, it may take a couple treatments to remove all of the staining.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here