Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabot's Stain Question

Posted by walleyevision (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 10:05

Ok, After much debate I've settled on Cabot's stain for my new cedar deck. Here's my question: should I use the semi-transparent or the semi-solid stain? I don't want it too dark, but I know the less pigment you have, the less protection. Let me know what you guys think. btw, the deck only gets morning sun.

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabot's Stain Question

I'm no expert but I just went through the same decision making process until I finally figured out that Cabot's 'Decking Stain', which is what I used, only comes in semi-solid or solid and is oil-based. The other types of stains are water-based, I believe, and those are the ones that come in semi-transparent, transparent etc. Maybe they are used more for siding? I have to say that I am very happy with the oil based stain..it really soaks into the wood for a very natural look (buy more than you think you need - I had to go back and get more). I used semi-solid Chestnut Brown and it is a rich, gorgeous color. Very happy.

o

I am no expert either but my project for today is staining my deck. Did final cleaning yesterday and it is ready. I am using Cabots Decking Stain which is an oil based semi-solid. Carolinma, believe it or not it is also the semi solid in Chestnut brown, oil based. Tried it out on a scrap of wood and the color is wonderful. Back to Walleyevisions question, look on the Cabot Stain web site and check out the differences in stains that they have. Three years ago I used the clear solution on the deck I am now re-doing, the solid acrylic stain on the rail system of my front porch and the solid oil based stain on my mom's front porch floor. All have held up exceedingly well.
Needless to say I am extremely happy with Cabot stains and don't think you can go wrong with them. Just follow the correct prep and application procedures. You can get little see through chips at the dealer that will let you see what the stain will almost look like on your wood. Good luck on your project.
Murphy

o

I am also staining an old deck this year. I have been tending toward Sikkens SRD semi-transparent oil. I would consider the Cabots semi-solid too because it is available at Lowes locally. Do you know the relative cost? Any opinion on relative merits?
Nerdy

o

carolinma or murphy zone 7, do either of you have pictures you can post? I, too, am considering/leaning towards chestnut brown. Thanks in advance.

o

The Cabot Decking Stain is the best if you want a long lasting finish that will mask the wood grain.

If you want a long lasting transparent stain the Sikkens SRD is the best on the market. It's all I use, durable and very easy to maintain.

Joel Bucci
Coatings Professional

Here is a link that might be useful: ePaintStore.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here