Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete Patio replacement-stop animals underneath

Posted by Linda277 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 9:59

I am replacing a 35 x 15 ' patio. The 35 is against the house. This time, rebar will be drilled into the foundation to stop sinking away. One contractor suggested a footing (2' deep so not below the frost line) all around to stop animals. He would tie rebar from footing to pad. The other suggested he pour the edges 12" deep and the top 4", no vertical rebar in the 12" deep sides. He said the center would heave if all 4 sides are tied to the edges. We are in Zone 4/5 depending on map. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete Patio replacement-stop animals underneath

What animals?

It is often easier to eliminate them from the patio area than overbuild a simple patio.

o

Here is a patio I am building in Zone7/6. I had voles and chipmunks under the previous patio. I broke it up and used the concrete as filler under the new patio.

o

Beauty of a patio Charlie, nice job. Nothing much is going to get under that patio.

As for the posters question burying chicken wire below the footing will cost you thousands of $ less than a 2 foot deep concrete foundation wall, here we call it a rat wall. That is over building that comes with a bigger price tag than needed.

Dig a trench as deep as you want, bury the mesh then form and pour your slab. Underpinning a foundation that isn't done right may cause you problems with your dwelling, if it results in cracks in your homes foundation wall you will have wished you had pest problems instead. I take it the foundation you speak of is the foundation of your home.

I would stay away from going into your foundation wall with rebar. If done correctly a properly installed slab will not lift or sink or crack. Your concrete guy is covering his butt, I would look at another contractor.

This post was edited by SouthernCanuck on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 13:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here