Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pergola on Elevated Deck

Posted by stubits (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 9:51

I am getting ready to build an elevated deck off the back of my house and would like to build a pergola into the design. I am attaching the plans for the deck and the pergola here. I think I've got a pretty good feel for where this is going, but I haven't been able to figure out how to mount the pergola posts.

As you can see, right now the pergola posts sit right on top of the main beam. This seems like the strongest option, but I am not sure how to attach it. Can I use something like theSimpson BCS Post Cap

Also, you'll notice that the pergola posts function as part of the guardrail and so must meet code requirements of withstanding a 200 lb. outward force. Can I use the Simpson DTT2Z product?

An obvious suggestion would be to use one continuous 6x6, but it would need to be nearly 20' in length, not impossible to purchase, but pretty impossible for me to install, although any suggestions to the contrary would be appreciated.

Any thoughts would be great!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pergola on Elevated Deck

I don't see your plans but personally I don't like the concept of installing something structural atop a structure, ie, your elevated deck. Wind stress and possibly snow load are factors your pergola must be designed to withstand.

Here's my suggestion:

Plan the placement of your pergola on the deck.

Install concrete footings below the deck for each post.

Construct the deck such that a supporting structure is adjacent to each post (a corner would be even better).

Set the posts into stand-off post bases anchored to the concrete footings. Plumb them against the deck structure and bolt each one in place.

Build your deck, then the pergola. I like 6 x 6's for the posts but check local building codes.

My pergola is free-standing on a patio. It is built atop footings like I described. The linked photos give an idea how it was assembled and also my plans. Good luck with yours, hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pergola

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here