Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any way to keep rain off my screen porch (a little)?

Posted by carajon (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 9:10

We have a screen porch on the south side of our house. It has 2.5 foot knee-walls and the screen panels that extend to the ceiling. The problem is that we (obviously) get lots of rain on the porch with the right combination of wind and rain. I do try to dry it off, but we are already getting some floor damage due to standing water. I would like to find a way to keep the water out, and am envisioning some sort of pull-down shade that would clip at the bottom. I've seen this type of shade to keep the sun out - has anyone come across something that would work the same way for rain? Or does anyone have any other ideas to keep the screen porch puddle-free?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any way to keep rain off my screen porch (a little)?

What sort of floor do you have that it is damaged. Please don't say it's plywood with carpet.

o

I am interested in the same thing. My covered deck is open with vinyl railings, and a tongue and groove garapa floor. Even with 2' overhang, one end gets pretty wet when the wind blows the right way. I have thought about glass, canopies, or other relatively inexpensive options our there.

I was hoping to find a type of screen that would stop rain better than others, but I dont think such a thing exists??

o

No - not plywood and carpet! The floors are mahogany. The damage is not extreme - really just to the finish. I just don't want it to get worse...

o

Interior shutters?

o

Interior shutters - I hadn't thought of that. I'd love to see photos if anyone has installed these...

o

When I bought an 1894 Victorian house in 1966, the 8' x 12' three-sided screened porch (east, south and north) had 2.5 foot knee-walls, with screen panels that extended to the ceiling. It also had one-inch slat (pine stained dark green) rollup blinds on all three sides, with the exception of the screen door. These were not spring-loaded roller blinds but were operated via cords running though two small pulleys at the top of each blind. The cords were cotton, and only one wore out and broke in the 26 years I lived in the house.

When the blinds were locked in the rolled-up position, the excess cording was wound around marine-style X brackets screwed into the pillars between the screen panels. Such brackets were also located further down on the wall, near the floor, for anchoring the blinds so they didn't blow in during a windstorm.

Minneapolis gets some volatile thunderstorms in summer, but if somebody was home to roll down the shades when one hit, nothing inside the porch ever got wet. And I had an upholstered wicker sofa and chairs, with lots of down-filled throw pillows.

The floor was painted wood, re-painted once or twice over the years with deck paint. I put an excellent quality sisal rug down, and if it ever did get wet it didn't matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here