Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carajon

Any way to keep rain off my screen porch (a little)?

carajon
15 years ago

We have a screen porch on the south side of our house. It has 2.5 foot knee-walls and the screen panels that extend to the ceiling. The problem is that we (obviously) get lots of rain on the porch with the right combination of wind and rain. I do try to dry it off, but we are already getting some floor damage due to standing water. I would like to find a way to keep the water out, and am envisioning some sort of pull-down shade that would clip at the bottom. I've seen this type of shade to keep the sun out - has anyone come across something that would work the same way for rain? Or does anyone have any other ideas to keep the screen porch puddle-free?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• decker173
    15 years ago

What sort of floor do you have that it is damaged. Please don't say it's plywood with carpet.

• kjboggs
    15 years ago

I am interested in the same thing. My covered deck is open with vinyl railings, and a tongue and groove garapa floor. Even with 2' overhang, one end gets pretty wet when the wind blows the right way. I have thought about glass, canopies, or other relatively inexpensive options our there.

I was hoping to find a type of screen that would stop rain better than others, but I dont think such a thing exists??

• carajon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No - not plywood and carpet! The floors are mahogany. The damage is not extreme - really just to the finish. I just don't want it to get worse...

• User
    15 years ago

Interior shutters?

• carajon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interior shutters - I hadn't thought of that. I'd love to see photos if anyone has installed these...

• minneapolis
    15 years ago

When I bought an 1894 Victorian house in 1966, the 8' x 12' three-sided screened porch (east, south and north) had 2.5 foot knee-walls, with screen panels that extended to the ceiling. It also had one-inch slat (pine stained dark green) rollup blinds on all three sides, with the exception of the screen door. These were not spring-loaded roller blinds but were operated via cords running though two small pulleys at the top of each blind. The cords were cotton, and only one wore out and broke in the 26 years I lived in the house.

When the blinds were locked in the rolled-up position, the excess cording was wound around marine-style X brackets screwed into the pillars between the screen panels. Such brackets were also located further down on the wall, near the floor, for anchoring the blinds so they didn't blow in during a windstorm.

Minneapolis gets some volatile thunderstorms in summer, but if somebody was home to roll down the shades when one hit, nothing inside the porch ever got wet. And I had an upholstered wicker sofa and chairs, with lots of down-filled throw pillows.

The floor was painted wood, re-painted once or twice over the years with deck paint. I put an excellent quality sisal rug down, and if it ever did get wet it didn't matter.

• User
    7 years ago

I found a terrific solution on the web..called porchkeepers ..they have marine grade vynal ROLL UP blinds made to fit any opening. my husband and I just eclose a 19 x 12 area of our covered deck off the house attached go our pool deck. we built a 45" knee wall all around with tounge & groove siding and used 2 solid vynal georgian style screen doors on a barn door railing system. I built a beautiful double swing bed to hang on the deck for nap times for grandbabies and I cant have it get wet either, I debated laying ceramic tile in the area but really prefer carpetinc. our screened areas are 12' x 3' on both sides and 6' x3' oj front facing pool wall, plus the 2 screen doors and they make blinds for the screen doors as well. It may be so money to get but we r in our mid 50's and we have a lot of bone breaking time in it now and saved alot by doing it ourselves so splurging on keepin it dry will deff be worgh it. im envisioning the first rainfall on the swing bed with my 2 grandbabies now. porchkeepers worth a look!

• PRO
    Brennan Enterprises
    7 years ago

Discover how a patio cover can not only protect your deck, but also ensure that your enjoy the outdoors no matter the time of year.

• janthousand
    4 years ago

I sure wish I could give you the name of my exterior remote controlled covering to my screen in porch. Purchased our home and they were already installed and no information. But keep the weather out completely. Hard driving rain, snow etc., I keep them lowered for the sun also. The remote is somfy maybe that will help

• K P
    4 years ago

Has anyone heard of / used “Isinglass” roller shades by Porch Enclosure Systems (PES)? If so feedback appreciated

We’re building a home w/a Screened in Porch & looking for a way in the Fall / Winter to retain the heat from a wood burning stove in the Porch. Supposedly these are marine grade / clear blinds that can be pulled down to block pollen & rain... plus retain the interior heat.

• smcwillie
    4 years ago

I haven't used this product yet, but am considering it. https://ezstormpanels.com/

They say it's a custom removable vinyl window that makes it waterproof inside.

• Ilene Weiss
    4 years ago

You can buy waterproof outdoor curtains, which may be an easy solution.