Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yakuta_gw

Experiences with Home Deport Deck Installation Services

yakuta
17 years ago

Home Depot now offers deck installation services. The choices are limited but the thing I like are the warranties. They have two options worth considering. One is a parket looking deck made with pine which they say is nailed from the bottom and comes in squares (4 ft) with a lifetime warranty against nail pops and rotting.

The second option is composite decking Veranda is what it's called. I really like the look and the colors will go with my cedar siding. I am just concerned about the fading part. Can someone with experience comment on it. I have read things on Trex but that was years ago. I am not sure how bad the fading problem really is and whether I should stick to the parquet. The money difference is not that significant.

Please help by sharing any experiences with Veranda or any other brands and also experiences with Home Depot installation services in general.

Comments (14)

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Just keep in mind that these box stores subcontract all of their work so the finished product is only as good as the contractor they send out.

Also, what are the defined terms of this warranty? They send out a contractor to rebuild or repiar the problems or they just replace the product?

• deckman22
    17 years ago

If their deck service is anything like their service in the stores I'd run as far & as fast as I could away from there.

If they only give you the manufacturers warranty on the different products used then it's not much of a warranty as it would only cover replacement of the material not labor. Check the fine print if you do decide to use them.

Al

• nutsandbolts
    17 years ago

I used to work as an in-home sales guy for them. Search "USA DECK" on this site, and you will see a post from last Fall about them.

My advice, don't buy it. The cost is astronomical, and I was working in affluent suburbs. The main benefit is that you can open a HD charge, and then make monthly payments (oftne with little or no interest if there is a promotion). Try doing THAT with a contractor.

All in all, I said I worked for them, and I did not even have them build me one (what does that tell you?)

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

I have a 10 am friday with the sales rep if you can belive it, his pitch is I dont even have to buy product from home cheppo,I can use the finance thing,and they want feed back from me. This should be intersting. J

• nutsandbolts
    17 years ago

Have fun. The shpeel is pretty long and involved, and covers alot of the "why use us and not them" talk, and does describe the wood and finished product very well. My advice would be to do what you should do with any contractor, ask to see local work done and really do go look at it. (Not that you would John, but for regular customers).

I just could not stay working for them, knowing that they were not good at production (in my area), so I could not do a good job convincing myself that they would do a good job. Customers would call me when there was a problem, so I was busy trying to follow up, which became too much. Plus the prices, YIKES. That is what scared most people away. I built my IPE deck for 1/4 the cost of what they were going to charge me for the same size. ONE QUARTER the cost, and they only offer the pt panels or trex panels.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

They want me as a Contractor,the idea is to give me leads,I dont have to buy from them,and I can use the finance package if my Wallet wants to use a credit card. I dont think they are involved in the bid at all. The meeting will be good for a grin or two anyway. John

• nutsandbolts
    17 years ago

Oh, OK. I know that the USA Decks people use their own crews, so maybe they are trying to be more like Lowes and have people on the call for "traditional" style/built decks. It might not be bad for you (you will get a lot of calls), in the long run. I know my plumber used to be affiliated with HD, and all he did was take the calls that people had screwed up on themselves, and he would go in and do the pro-fix. He was making a ton of money off of them until he blew out his back.
    Good luck again. Many people around here think HD is awesome, and will do whatever they say to do.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Guys,the man just left,25% of the gross,around $175 up frount,4 hour class,dress up with a home depo badge on,at least 60 days to get paid. Forget That!!!!! J

• deckman22
    17 years ago

Aw come John you'd look good with a home cheapo badge, ha.

Al

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm John from the Home Depot. Before we even begin discussing your deck options let me tell you about a little product called TWP......

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Ghessssssssss can you belive that S%$t?? they should pay me just to come on board. J

• HU-42045420
    3 years ago

I had a Home Depot deck installed about ten years ago with the 4' squares mentioned above. Not to go into the installation nightmare which I had trouble ever getting any responses about, the deck itself is so rotten in places that I put my foot through one of the boards. I am in the process of replacing about half of them, but some of the underlying boards are also rotten. The cost of the deck was around $16,000, and I didn't expect to be replacing it in ten years.

• Kathy Thompson
    2 years ago

I inquired about Home depot home services for resurfacing my deck. They sent me names of 3 companies who would contact me. I never heard from any. 1 week later, they sent me 4 more companies and o never heard from any of them, either. Pretty useless.