Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone ever make their own awning?

Posted by db4570 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 8:59

I am re-decking my existing deck with new boards, and thought this might be the time to figure out how to add a little shade to it. We get pretty good shade from trees on a lot of the deck during the day, but in the late afternoon the low sun pounds in through the patio door and windows. So I'm looking for something that that will go fairly low to cover this late-in-the-day situation.

I'm looking at awnings, and a lot of them seem really straightforward: some aluminum or galvanized pipe securely mounted, and a simple Sunbrella canvas stitched over it. How hard could it be to DIY? I'd probably have the Sunbrella stitched by a local tailor I know, and slip it over a pipe frame I build myself.

This is in the Northeast, and would only be used in the summer.

Anyone done this? Any suggestions or pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks!

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone ever make their own awning?

Been there, done that. I built about 25 custom awnings approx 16' x 20' for large electrical transformers. Becaues of the size I had to use strut channel for supports. The custom made canvas were quite expensive and had to be replaced about every 2 years. We had to install grommets around the entire perimeter to tie the awning to the frame. They are no longer in use because the transformers were too expensive to maintain and got taken out of service. I think the expense of fooling around with the custom awnings was what did it.

"How hard could it be to DIY?"

How hard are you trying to make it? Is your goal to save money, or just prove it can be done?

Is your tailor working for profit? It will be expensive to have something custom tailored.

What are you planning on for the frame? Electrical conduit, copper, PVC? Strut channel is really too heavy and the edges cut through the fabric. Do you really have the skill to build a metal frame that a taylored piece of fabric will slip over and fit snugly? Unless you have much experience at bending conduit or pipefitting, forget it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here