Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Intersecting Gable Roof to Ranch House

Posted by ryanb4614 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 7:14

Hello all. I want to add a gable roof over my new porch I just put in. I just completed the framing for the porch today and will be putting composite board over it. I would like to build a similar roof over the porch. I am a DIY person, very fast to pick things up, I just want to make sure I am doing it right. I will not begin to build anything until I have solid plans. The porch was concrete and as high as the one in the picture. This was removed and replace and extended. The new porch is 7 ft wide x 6 ft.

What I plan on doing is putting in sono tubes for the two post. Anchor 6x6 post to these and then put a footer around the sonotube for the stone base. Then the area that will be covered by the roof on the house I plan to stucco, currently is old red brick..,.
Some help I need to, calculating the Slope, Calculating the Jack Rafters Height, is this a measure and go and cut ends at 45 degrees?

Big questions I have is. The boards that the common rafters sit on and is attached to the house where the gutters currently are, what are the called? how do I attach them to the house properly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Intersecting Gable Roof to Ranch House

Your going to need plans to submit for your building permit more than likely with an engineers stamp or architect so that may be a good place to start as you will be changing or altering the structure (roof and roof loads) of your home. And generally this would all be done in conjunction with the framing for the porch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here