Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cedar patio cover beams- how long of span?

Posted by nccmama (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 7:05

We would like to have a patio cover built over our existing L-shaped patio. The contractor suggested that we go with a 24' cedar beam on the longest side, tied into the side of the house on one end and set into the ground, just off of the patio, on the other end. This would be for the longest part of the L, with the short side of the L also done the same way, but with beams not as long.

Constructing it this way would make it so that we did not have any posts on the patio itself to get in our way. I like this idea very much because beams would get in the way of the flow of traffic and furniture placement. But, I worry that this is potentially not sound construction. He said that the 24' beam is designed for this (it's 12x12, I think) and not to worry. But, this long side faces west and is exposed to a lot of wind, especially during storms, which we get a lot of in Texas.

All other bids have suggested one or two posts on the patio, though I never specifically asked if we could eliminate the posts. This guy has been doing this for quite a while and seems to know what he's doing. The cover he built for my neighbor last year has held up beautifully.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cedar patio cover beams- how long of span?

The specific size of the beam is critical. Plus I've never heard of a 12x12 solid beam as in "tree". Is it engineered? I'd get something in writing and ask him to make a copy of the span table sheet showing this size will go 24 ft.

These are the kind of posts we get, people having problems after its too late.

o

It might have been 12x6. It was a verbal quote, not written, though the contract would be written I suppose. I wouldn't give him the 1/2 down without one.

I'm just looking to see if it's even possible to build a cover with such a long span. If it's not, then this contractor should certainly know this, and I wouldn't want to hire him. He said that structurally, it would be the same with one 24' span, or two 12'with a post underneath. No cost difference or strength difference, just aesthetics.

o

"the same with one 24' span, or two 12'with a post underneath"

Well, that's not logical to me. Somebody needs to get their hands on a span table that covers a 6X12 (its proably three 2X12s sandwiched), I don't have one. You could start searching the web.

o

I would not use any cedar beams for deck support especially if low to the ground. I have replaced many a cedar beam around here that rotted out, even ones that were elevated several ft. above ground.

For beams stick with TP & wrap them if you don't like the look, that or steel or treated glulams.

Al

o

"We would like to have a patio cover built over our existing L-shaped patio."

Define "cover."

You might be able to get away with a relatively long span if the loads are very small.

All the wood has to do is hold itself up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here