Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nccmama_gw

cedar patio cover beams- how long of span?

nccmama
14 years ago

We would like to have a patio cover built over our existing L-shaped patio. The contractor suggested that we go with a 24' cedar beam on the longest side, tied into the side of the house on one end and set into the ground, just off of the patio, on the other end. This would be for the longest part of the L, with the short side of the L also done the same way, but with beams not as long.

Constructing it this way would make it so that we did not have any posts on the patio itself to get in our way. I like this idea very much because beams would get in the way of the flow of traffic and furniture placement. But, I worry that this is potentially not sound construction. He said that the 24' beam is designed for this (it's 12x12, I think) and not to worry. But, this long side faces west and is exposed to a lot of wind, especially during storms, which we get a lot of in Texas.

All other bids have suggested one or two posts on the patio, though I never specifically asked if we could eliminate the posts. This guy has been doing this for quite a while and seems to know what he's doing. The cover he built for my neighbor last year has held up beautifully.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (5)