Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck bids

Posted by marstar (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 3:23

I am a new homeowner receiving estimates on replacing wood on my deck and these contractors have left me just crossed eyed by the amount they want to charge me. Hopefully someone can give me some input on how much it should cost to replace wood or composite on an existing deck. My deck is about 1050 sq ft. My house sits on a slight slope and the deck is what supports our entry way to the house. The deck runs all along the house, about 5 feet wide with stairs going down to our backyard. I have received quotes as high as 60k and as low as 22k for redwood decking, the lowest bid told me to add another 15k for composite. I went down to the lumber yard and they quoted 7k for the composite we liked, I just can't justify the extra $28k for labor and why its 15k more than redwood. I am in Los Angeles.

On another note, I am unsure how composite will look with my existing redwood deck frame, curious if anyone has tried this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck bids

Without seeing exactly what you have, there is no way anyone here can you tell you what it should cost. Is all the framing being replaced, as well.

That said, 60K is possibly high and 22K is probably low. There are a number grades of redwood and possibly 100's different types of composite. You need to be more specific. High end composites are going to be more then redwood. The 15K difference is way out of line, for any redwood and any composite.

I'm in Nor Cal, if you have a plan, I will look at it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck ideas

o

We are using the existing frame, the composite we are looking at is trex transcend. I believe that is the more expensive composite material. Lumber Yard quoted 7k. I don't know where to find plans for the deck. The deck is about 20 years old.

o

If the deck is 20 years old, you will probably want or need to replace the framing. The existing framing will probably not survive the length of the new decking.

I can get a average grade of redwood for about $ 4600 + tax. That's just for the decking with no waste. Ipe would run about $ 8000 or less.

o

Can you post a photo of your existing deck? That would help.

I agree that if it's 20 years old it would be a good idea to replace the framing, to bring it up to current codes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here