Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! All contractors I interviewed set footers on concrete

Posted by newhomeower (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 2:42

Hi,
We are ready to build a screened in porch and have interviewed over 8 local contractors. None of them use concrete piers to attach footers. They all bury PT posts directly onto concrete. They say this is standard practice in our county b/c everything is done to code. That's not good enough for us. We want the best foundation for our new porch! Several of them even said: "...well you'll be out of the house in five years so who cares???" I care.

We just want a porch that is built with best practices available today. We are prepare to pay a premium for that. We live in Northern VA. Anyone have recommendations? The contractors I interviewed were from Angie's Lists. Please help. We need a porch before Winter!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! All contractors I interviewed set footers on concrete

Seting posts in concrete is normal in a lot of places including OKC. A simple request to land the posts on the piers should do it along with your willingness to pay extra for it.

My outfit always set the posts on the footings but most of my compatition dont. J.

o
RE: Help! All contractors I interviewed set footers on concrete

Call your local building department and find out what is code for your area. If you have something in writing from them, a contractor will have to do it per their instructions in order to get a building permit and C of O.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here