Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nnmsgst

Reappearing Deck Screw Rust Stains

nnmsgst
10 years ago

Hello,

I am hoping that you can help me. I read another post on this forum from a few years ago in which a forum member was having the same issue that I am:

I used a wood brightener containing Oxalic Acid to clean my fully covered cedar decking on my screen porch and mostly to remove the rust stains that are on it because the builder used non-stainless steel screws. In my case, I actually REMOVED the old screws before cleaning because I'm going to replace them with stainless. When the wood was wet, and through the drying process, it was clear that the chemical HAD worked - perfectly in fact. HOWEVER, after the boards had dried, the stains came back.... and I'd say they were even larger (albeit faded). I repeated the process, again it looked like everything had worked, but again the black stains are back..

Anybody know what I can do? I'm not planning on staining it... and it has essentially zero exposure to moisture.

Thanks

Comment (1)

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

It's not uncommon for dark stains to appear around screw holes on cedar or pressure treated, but I agree not as prevalent as yours.

It may just be the photo but the material looks to be pressure treated lumber not cedar. It has a green ting to it. Are you 100% certain it is? If your not certain removing a deck board and looking below it should have the Western Red Cedar stamp on it. The reason I ask is that the newer pressure treated products must have the proper green or grey screws used. The improper screws may be your culprit.

Spot sanding these areas may do the trick or using a product called Spray 9 which I know is available in the US. Try doing a few spots if successful tackle the rest.