Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliebatta

Deck Restore Rust-Oleum Deck Restore

LeslieBatta
10 years ago

Has anyone used the Rust-oleum Restore product on their deck? I am getting ready to stain my deck and ran across this product at Lowes. Seems like it could be a good solution for my deck but I wanted to see if anyone else has used it and what did you think?

My deck is 9 years old, nothing special, just deckboards. The boards really dried a bunch and has significant gaps. We are in the midst of a kitchen remodel and really don't want to spend the money on a new deck so if we could buy a few years with this stuff, we are willing to try it out.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Comments (6)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

9 years isn't old for a deck so I'd first be sure a good washing/sanding and stain wouldn't give you a new looking deck before I'd coat it with Restore. By gaps, do you mean cracks or just gaps between the boards?

We used Restore on a newly built ramp and small deck that's next to a barn. The ramp is for access to a debris box so all the stuff mucked from horse stalls can be dumped into it. It's walked on, and wheelbarrows are rolled across it daily, so it's had it's share of wear and tear.

We've been impressed with the durability, look and feel so I would give it a thumbs up. Watch some of the youtube videos and check the samples at the store, and as long as you understand it's a thick coating and not a paint or stain, then I think you'll be happy with the results if you choose to use it. Don't skip any steps in prep and application.

Be sure to compare costs of each project: cleaning & Restore vs cleaning and stain/seal. It takes a good bit of Restore for coverage and it is not cheap.

• LeslieBatta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback annz!

Gaps, not cracks. We do have some warped and cracking boards and replaced a few of those. I did dig a little more into the product and I am now concerned that I would waste quite a bit because of the gaps. The goop would just fall right through.

I also did look more into the cost. Our deck is 12x36 so we would need at least 18 gallons of Restore which would amount to $420 at least...

Was your new ramp wood? If so, did you want the Restore to help with traction and that's why you covered it immediately?

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Leslie, yes, the ramp/landing was wood and we used Restore for the traction it provided.
    We left fairly large gaps between the boards so that water and any dropped debris would hopefully fall thru. I used a brush to cover the sides/gaps of the boards, then used a roller on the flat surfaces. I didn't use the roller supplied with Restore but instead used a conventional roller. (I think it was 3/8") I also found using a 4" roller worked well.

Restore tends to cling to the roller so I don't think you'll have problems with it falling thru the gaps. Any drips you see between gaps, come back with a brush and smooth them out.
    There are excellent review/tips on Amazon, so be sure and read those also.

• Curator3
    10 years ago

We're in a rural area with no Home Depot or Lowes within 60 miles. Has anyone tried some of the other products found at the local hardware stores? I'm going to see what's offered this week.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I'm not aware of other products, but my local Ace hardware can order the Restore if it's not carried in the store. Your hardware store may be able to do the same.

• sjde
    10 years ago

I think Rhino Shield is comparable.