Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn42_gw

Should I put roof over deck?

lynn42
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

We are putting a deck on and I would like a roof, but I am very concerned how much this will cut down on the light coming into the house? The roof would be over sliding glass doors and another window. There would still be a double window in Family room that wouldn't have roof over it. But I love light! Did a roof cut down your light drastically? The roof type we are thinking of at this point is a gable type roof?

Thanks,

Lynn

Comments (12)

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

Lynn, Some of it depends on which direction the back of your home /deck faces, how high the ceiling in your house is, how high the roof over the deck can be and the colors of the ceiling you might use and the depth of your deck. If ceilings are 9-10 ft that makes it a bit better. If the house is facing south it is better. If its facing west you may want it either way. You also need to weigh the pros and cons of having it covered and not having it covered. The rain is mostly taken out of the equation when covered and the hot sun but loss of light is an issue. It also depends on which way the roofline is on the porch. I have linked a few pictures of a poch /deck I did for my gf's home recently. The rafter bearing height is 10'4" and the porch is 14'-0 deep with southern exposure. The ceiling is white vinyl bead board that helps reflect light as well.

She loves it covered. Can use it most any time in any weather.

These pictures were taken in the winter when the sun is lower in the southern sky . In the summer the shadows come back only about half the distance back on the porch ( in Ohio)

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

sjt.. Most any lumber yard or siding supplier will have access to it. Its just soffit with beaded design

• lynn42
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you to both for responding and posting pics. The back of our house has southern exposure and our house ceilings are 9 ft.

I will talk with our contractor on how high we can get the roof and still look good.
    sjt, The skylights are a good idea too. Our plan will look more like your deck, except it will be raised.

bigkahuna, what an awesome view. I can just picture sitting out there with a cocktail!

• gopintos
    13 years ago

My vote is covered.

We are wrap around on 3 sides, and I think we get plenty of light. I think we are only 8 ft wide though but it is plenty big for how we use it. The lower walk out level is 10 ft patio all the way across and I figure if we need more room for entertaining, they can spill out onto the yard down there.

I love my covered porch. It fits the house and it fits us. We have had so much rain and yet the kids can still go outside and play on the porch.

We STILL arent finished with the porch yet... sigh... still have to wrap some columns, still have to make the stone columns and steps out front, still have build some stairs from the main level down to the lower level, still have to put up some railing ..... geesh....just seems like it will never be finished... but anyways, this might give you an idea of what we did.

One of my favorite features is the see thru railing system across the back and then repeated again on the upper deck on the back. The pond isnt finished yet either... arghhh but some day it will be but even now, it is still nice to see the horses or the deer out back without looking through spindles.

(Yes I am posting too many pics. I take any opportunity to share my pics. I am so very happy with this house and every thing about it) :-)

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{gwi:1419317}}
    {{gwi:1419318}}

Upper Deck
    {{!gwi}}

Looks like I need to get a newer picturer of the back :-)
    {{gwi:1400566}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Home Page

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Your home is beautiful ! The exterior colors are very close to what I am looking to do to my cottage style home.

What is the color name of the siding?

What is the color name and mfg. of the stone?

Thanks

• dakota01
    13 years ago

My porch area will be covered by a roof. I have a wall of windows/transoms/doors. The porch will be 12 wide by 17 deep. Both side will be enclosed by the house (it's a side patio/porch) and I will be putting in 4 skylights as I too want a lot of light to still come into my home. My ceilings are 9 ft. The roof is not pitched,it's more of a slanted roof.

I want to be able to use my porch a lot and someday I may even screen it in. With the roof it would be each to screen in.

• gopintos
    13 years ago

Oh thank you very much

The siding, it is vinyl. We had so much to cover and this was some place I thought we could save a little and upgrade at a later date if we wanted. It is called Autumn Taupe by Bristol Bay

The stone, I looked on and off for 6 months. When I saw it, I knew it was the one. It is Autumn Blend in a Canyon Ledgestone and I was able to get it from my lumber yard.

The brick is White-wash Brick and they are brick panels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canyon Stone

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Way to go GOP.

Standing seam roofing is a fastley over looked detail that has merit in several ways. Love the project.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• stu2900
    13 years ago

gopintos--your home is beautiful! I love the roof! Is your porch ceiling vinyl or aluminum? It looks very fresh and bright. I got to sit out on our deck during a storm the other night and loved every minute of it.

• gopintos
    13 years ago

Oh thank you guys. It is very nice to hear. I see so many beautiful homes on here, and sometimes you second guess your choices, but we love it and it is a great home for us.

The ceiling is the same type vinyl soffit that we used except without the air holes.

We did use some sort of aluminum like a barn siding for the garage ceiling and I am going to have them do the same thing to most of the lower level.

• gopintos
    13 years ago

Well I said vinyl, I don't really know but I do know it is the same as our soffit.