Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

contractor messed up, can you think of a downspout fix?

cheerpeople
12 years ago

The new cement steps are really cool BUT, he did not put the downspout thru the cement like he promised and now, well, I'm up for what might work here.

I told him he was not running the downspout down each step and all the way across the concrete to the yard which was his "fix".

I paid $3000 for porch. It my first home improvement on my new home. My first home purchase.... and this guy came recommended by my boss.[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/IMG_0266.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/IMG_0262.jpg[/IMG]K

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • cheerpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oops that last one was the same one- here's a closeup

• Darel
    12 years ago

What's at the other end of the gutter? He could easily remove the gutter and pitch it the opposite direction, so it empties at the other end. Don't know what's on the other end of the gutter / house, though.

If that's not possible, he needs to break up the new concrete, run the downspout, and re-pour. There's no other way around it.

Personally I'd have changed the gutter in the first place, just because I hate doing all that work and having a downspout in it, regardless if it being done "right" or not.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Most of us are more inclined to respond if you post the photo in your message instead of via link. Here it is:

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Daryl,
    I would lovve to run it toward the roof of the garage. To do that the gutter has to be 2 inches higher, slope the other way and curve around 3 90 degree angles. ( the garage is forward of the house by 2 feet or so. ) This is zone 5 with plenty of ice. Can gutters be switched to do that here? If it matters we are going to get a steel roof and the siding has to come off and get put back on after repairs.

Weedy, thx a bunch for getting the pic to show up. I have trouble with that with my mac. That was very kind of you.

• Darel
    12 years ago

From what I can see in the picture above, it looks like you might have room to get away with repitching the gutter to the other side. Again, you don't have a good shot of the garage but I think you have 2" of play there. If you're doing the metal roof thing soon, just run some corrugated pipe out to the grass for now and incorporate it.

Let me throw this out there, though - your concrete steps go over the house siding. This means water will be trapped between the steps and the siding. When water gets trapped against siding, even if it's in perfect shape, it gets behind the siding and causes rot. Perhaps you could have him fix your downspout and incorporate an air gap between the steps and siding while you're at it.

• Darel
    12 years ago

And also, I don't mean to be a jerk about it because we all make mistakes, but:

YOU don't need to worry about whether YOU can get your gutter to go the opposite direction (to where you want it anyway). All you need to do is give the guy the option of doing it that way (and make sure he does it the right way!) or completely redoing the job because he left out an important detail.

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are 2 more pics, Darel,
    Maybe you can see what the other side looks like and if it can run that way. It is approx 2 inches higher on the garage than it is on the porch area.
    The contractor was asked what we was going to do and all I could get out of him after I said he was not putting gutters across the top of the steps, was " I have no idea" and " It can't be run it to the garage gutter" and " can I build your deck next?"

I understand it is really his problem but since he can refuse to finish and already has his money, it really could be my problem. I could refuse to pay him for a small retaining wall he's half done.

My husband thought the contractor could use his concrete saw and cut thru his work, put the gutter in under like it was supposed to be, and fill in the top with matching color mortared brick along the side. would that work?
    Do we have enough "fall"?

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

another pic

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

It doesn't look to me like there's a good alternative in moving the downspout to the garage side.

How is the pitch of the large concrete section - will the water just run along the house and then off to the right? If so I'd extend the downspout just past the steps and let the water run across the concrete. If not extend it all the way to the end of the house... and maybe put a planter at the corner to hide the downspout weirdness?

If the buried pipe was in the written spec's for the job maybe you could talk him into doing the retaining wall for free to cover the mistake?

• Darel
    12 years ago

I agree, looking at it now it looks like the gutter on the garage is slightly higher than the one over the door and repitching won't work.

Kinda tough to tell through a screen, though. :)

I'd say he needs to cut out the steps along the house, sink the drainpipe, the cover the gap with a grille to avoid concrete-to-siding contact like he should have done in the first place.

You are going to have water sitting between the steps and the siding and this will cause rot. I don't think the downspot is the only thing he messed up here.