Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbsim1

Garapa Tips for Second Story Porch

gbsim1
11 years ago

We've got a great GC but the crew has no experience with Garapa (only PT or Trex type decks) so I'd like to smooth the learning curve for them (and avoid any problems).

The porch/gallery is 10' deep by about 75' across the house plus it wraps around the sides.

We are planning to use either 5 or 6" boards in 5/4" (1" actual) thickness. It seems as though when my husband talked to George at East Teak a long time ago that he recommended against tongue and groove because we will have occasional rain and snow blowing in (central VA).

Our vision for the porch is that it not look like a "deck" but like a finished porch so as far as gaps, I don't want (or think I need any gaps between the boards. Would they place them as tightly together as they can when initially laying them?

Seal the cut ends that will be hanging out on the edge as well as the ends back by the wall?

Special screws, drills, saw or equipment that will make the job easier? Any tips would be greatly welcomed.

Photo of the upper porch with temporary decking in place. Garapa will extend a bit past the posts and cover the end beam.

Photo of the lower patio which will eventually be poured concrete with laid stone. Temporary decking in place above. Garapa will be above ie will be the ceiling of the lower level).