Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_hyatt_gw

What you can do and What you can't

john_hyatt
12 years ago

Latley I got busted and banned for promoting my Business and several others.

As far as I can figure out,this site not having a real oversite structure but baised on complaint basis,someone called me in for being a bad Guy.

After several E-mails back and forth from the Garden Staff police the only thing I can figure out is there is not to be Any posting of business sites including Any suppliers,or business,or any referance to anything related to Business at all.

That means if you have a junk product,a question as to what supplier has treated you right or wrong, wanting to see a Pro's site to inspect an area of construstion,Where you got an outdoor finish as well as what kind it was and how much you paid for it along with Anything like that is not allowed on this Site.

In the basic this site is for DIY Folks who want to talk to themself about things not realated to Any Business.

JonMon

Comments (13)

• brooklyndecks
    12 years ago

John,

I have seen your references to your issues with the Garden Gestapo. If they banned you, they might as well close down this site.
    We (pro deck builders) should protest. Let them ban all of us.

My favorite finish is Penofin (www.penofin.com)
    The only screws that I use on my decks are stainless steel Headcote screws (www.headcote.com)
    I buy all of my wood locally, but if I bought it online, I would call George at www.eastteak.com

Steve
    www.urbanexteriors.biz

• john_hyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very cool site Steve my Man !!!

" Up on the Roof " That New York thing is so different if I ever came to see ya it would be like landing on Mars.

This site gets Way more hits than any other in the network mainley because of Us Pro's and the info we gladley give out. I can not understand Their problem and after a while they stoped telling me what they want or don't want. I dont think they even know.

Anyway say I do post my site >> www.deckmastersllc.com In Fact say someone was looking for a DeckBuilder and happened on to one of us over here, Is that promoting business?? No. It just happend to be exactley what they were looking for. That being the purpose of all this in the first place.

Chill out Garden Police !!! Same with the Cop Callers Git a Life !!!! We are doing what we are should be doing over here.

JonMon

• piaa
    12 years ago

I for one John, thank you for all that you do and the products you recommend (along with the other professionals that take the time out of their busy schedules to help)

As some of you might know I live on St John - a small caribbean island and thanks to John I have two deck products I am looking at purchasing - Timbertech XLM and Azek. I knew enough to stay away from Trex as I have seen more than my fair share of moldy Trex decks here to last a lifetime but as I can't just run out to the nearest decking supply store and look at products (well I could but it involves a car, a boat, a taxi, and a plane) I had no idea what else was out there until John helped - so a big thank you from me to you :)

And now I am on the subject any thoughts on ElDorado *stone* I know, I know another fake product but due to weight restrictions and I am looking to add a small section of stone instead of railing to our deck I am looking for the best *fake* stacked stone I can buy without seeing it in person - John any thoughts ???

Thanks

Piaa

• brooklyndecks
    12 years ago

John mon (www.deckmastersllc.com),

You've helped so many here over the years...and pi$$ed off a few, too :-)
    Yeah, you've hyped some products, and yourself, but that's a small price to pay for all the hours you've put in helping out DIY folks. You keep this place alive, and give me some yucks.

I think that some of the folks you've helped over the years should chime in, and let the gardenweb gestapo know that if you get banned, they won't be coming back.

I don't come here much anymore, but I, for one, would be gone.

steve
    www.urbanexteriors.biz

• john_hyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Piaa I hate you !!! If I get one more story about that place from Susan its going to push me over the edge!!!

I already hate Steve for going to the Ricka every winter.

Piaa,as I understand it the islands are sitting on a volcanic base any chance of harvesting any of that ? it's supper light weight and easy to work with.

Far as the Garden Police go what I and all the pros and all the diy Folks go, it is impossible to reframe from posting business sites !!!! With out doing that the whole idea of this little part of cyber would be usless.

Am I in the same line up as the Spamers pitching drugs and handbags ?????? I Don't Think So !!!!!

Anyway the JonMon is going to keep doing what I have always done. If you see me gone you will know why.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

I don't really understand the purpose of this post - seems like you are trying to tell us _your_ rules for this forum? This has been a valuable forum and _some_ of the valuable information has come from the self-proclaimed "pros". You can come here and taunt the _real_ owners of the forum by promoting your business or the businesses of your buddies. Reality is that _you_ don't own this forum and you don't set the rules - and if they ban you it won't bother me in the least! I can do without the arrogance.

And no, I haven't complained to the owners - but I can understand why others would. You are no more important here than they are - no matter what you think of yourselves.

• john_hyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Ya Denni !!

Say a Home Ownner,like you, wanted to know what clips work and what ones don't what would you like to hear >> ipe extreme are flimsley,easy to rout out the ss insert,very costley in material and labor where as the Tiger Claw clips are very strong,easy to install and require no pre drill >> Or some of the clips work and some of them dont A HO want's the facts from Folk's who installed and were livid with the results and from Pro's who have already found the anwser. Now how is this to be done with out clearly listing the material ?????

After many years in the Decking Business there are some suppliers I and all other Pros are going to stick with,for good reason. They Are Good . Would you like to know who they are and why we like them ?? Of course you would. How is this going to be done without spelling out who they are and where they are ???

When A person know's what they are doing in the Building Business the project is already pictured clearly before any work takes place. This is Arrogance not Insolence.

I clearly see the differance between selling drugs,handbags, imported flux capatistors and listing supplier/contractor sites. Building info is what this site is all about. If I had a job on my site that was Exactley what you,Denni Girl, were looking to build in your back yard would you like to see it ??? Sure you would. Now if I said I could build it for You for so much $ and give me a call That would be out of line.

See the differance ?? That is the point of this Post.

JonMon

• borisswort
    12 years ago

John, you do give some decent advice, but you also give some bad advice - especially about products you have never used so you say they aren't any good. I am just thankful I never listened to you when I built my deck years ago. You were against the fastening system I used (I can't remember the name) that I have been very happy with. You also told people that Roseboro Glulams should not be used on a deck - you said they would rot. I couldn't be happier with mine. You also endlessly promoted that bum who sold the wreck-a-deck stuff who turned out to be a fraud. Just stick with what you know and maybe you will help someone once in a while.

• john_hyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You cant remember the fastening system you used but your real happy with it. Great.

I got a direct e-mail from Roseboro telling me not to use that product on a project exposed to the weather.

You got a problem with wreck a deck what ever the Hell that is and He was a Fraud. Get Real Doris, who are you talking about ???

Tell Ya what dude just fill in around here, I could use the help. In Fact Youall just do it by yourself from now on.

I am Outa Here. That's enough.

J.

• mjh5
    12 years ago

As a homeowner who has been reading posts in this forum for the past 6 years I have to say that John's posts have been among the most useful to homeowners - and the most entertaining. There is no way he is doing this to promote his business - he puts in too much time to make it pay. If you read the forum for a while you can quickly figure out the voices that are the most authentic. John has strong opinions and he is not shy about stating them. Readers are free to accept of reject them as they see fit. If he refers to a product he uses it is because he likes it, not because he has a financial interest in it. Is he right about everything he says? Probably not. But his opinions are honest. And he has clearly helped many, many, people over the years. It would be a real shame if he were to stop posting to this site.

Perhaps people should automatically post a disclaimer at the end of each post like, "The above represents my opinion. Take it for what it is worth."

THE ABOVE REPRESENTS MY OPINION. TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.

Marty

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

Marty, you make a great point. When we built our deck about 4 years ago, I was looking for advice on railings, decking material, and stains.

John (and MANY OTHERS recommended IPE) and a few other items. We went with treated white pine (not regular) and Cabots Australian Timber Oil. Was it the popular opinion? Not the most really, no.. but not ruled out.

What I DID gain from John and others was what NOT to get. Take all advice with a grain of salt and be your own person. But don't be afraid to ask for advice, and don't be mad because it wasn't the answer you wanted.

I agree, John has strong opinions -- but wasn't that what you were asking for in the first place? I mean weren't you (anyone asking for advice here) just HOPING a pro might answer you??

The difference between here and the real world is you'd have to schedule these "advice" sessions with a pro, and then have to solicit bids. You STILL have to weed out the advice either way.

• salmon_slayer
    12 years ago

John, I for one would miss your posts and believe it unfortunate they are upset at you. You have provided a lot of great, real life advise for those that listen (and figure out what you were saying sometimes :). I have built a few decks - three out of IPE and three out of redwood over the last few years. All came out beautiful based on the advise of John and others on this forum.

Steve

• Thanks_John_Hyatt
    12 years ago

I searched and read this forum for a year before I even began constructing my 1000 sq ft ipe deck. I learned a lot from various professionals recommending materials, tools, and procedures that I personally chose to follow or not follow. One professional stood out as someone who was willing to put in much more of his time to help others. It is clear to me this person's intent was not to promote his or any other business, although it happened. I expect he recouped less than a penny an hour for his years of postings. It is the professional's answers that give this forum it's value, not the amateur's questions!

Now my deck is almost completed, railings, steps, stain, and all. As a DIY'er, I never had a reason to post to this forum before, but now this thread has forced me to register in order to post here. My user name: Thanks_John_Hyatt.