Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipe Deck Tiles

Posted by dlowen7861 (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 21:07

Am trying to decide between Ipe deck tiles and a standard Ipe deck--my only concern is whether the deck tiles feel as "solid" as a regular deck--does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipe Deck Tiles

Ipe Decking has an extremely attractive appearance and smooth, splinter free surfaces. It is durable and resistant against rot, wood boring, insects and fungus. Also it is free of visible knots and defects.

o

I posted a similar request for Curupay deck tiles from ecoarbordesigns.com. Not one response. I don't think anyone at this forum has used tiles.

o

Thanks Nerdy--I just ordered samples and will see myself--I'll post my results.

o

Because the tiles are only 1' x 1' or 1' x 2' and are essentially a floating floor, they wont feel quite as solid to walk on as a thick lumber purpose built deck. But they are not intended as a replacement for a traditional deck. They are really designed to provide a quick and easy method of covering an existing hard surface. And if that surface is uneven (bumpy) then the tiles could 'rock' slightly on the surface so again they wouldn't have the completely solid feel like purpose built wood deck.

Wood deck tiles and composite wood deck tiles like those from handydeck.com have a bit of flexibility in one direction at least due to the plastic base, so can compensate for a little uneveness in the surface .

o

i'm also interested in ecoarbordesigns, and outdure. Please update us if/when ecoarbor gets back in touch with you. link below for outdure if you haven't seen it

Here is a link that might be useful: outdure

o

Just in case anyone is still listening here, I just spoke with Sean at ecoarbordesigns. They have a structural 24x24 deck tile, that when installed with a "curb" around the outside will provide a solid surface that won't move underfoot.

That being said their on grade decktiles clip together and provided you have a flat surface will also feel very solid.

No decisions yet but i'm leaning toward ecoarbor.
-adam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here