Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing Tigerwood and other hardwoods for railing

Posted by jdspates (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 21:06

I have started building a tigerwood deck. All of the decking is down as well as the stair risers. We are to the railing. I ordered tigerwood 2 x 6 for the handrail and 2 x 4 tigerwood for top and bottom rail with dekorator ballusters. We were also going to go with 4x4 tigerwood posts but these have proven to be difficult to get. They have been on backorder for 30 days or so and it will be at least 3 more weeks if not longer. I can switch out the tigerwood 4 x 4 for Ipe or cumaru but the remainder of the rail will be made of tigerwood because I have already received those pieces. Does anyone have any opinions on which one would look better with the tigerwood. Thanks in advance for your help,

Jesse

Follow-Up Postings:

o
tigerwood without streak

I have ordered Tigerwood and received a very poor grade of Tigerwood with no streak. It looks terrible next to REAL Tigerwood. The company states all they guarantee is, that it is Tigerwood and only 40% of each container has 'streak' and that I must pay an additional premium for Tigerwood with 'streak' plus pay the shipping to return the crappy Tigerwood. I consider this a scam and misrepresentation....a bait and switch tactic. To Jesse I say AVOID the Tigerwood and do the large handrail in Ipe'. To those looking for Tigerwood, you are in for a rough ride! If you find a supplier that is honest please let us/me know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here