Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkal474_gw

Paver Patio vs. Stamped Concrete

kkal474
16 years ago

We are in the process of deciding whether or not to do the patio portion of our backyard in pavers or with stamped concrete. The pavers would be significantly more labor intensive and we are still pricing it out. We are awaiting a quote on the stamped concrete. We are fortunate to have a relative in the concrete business so are going to be able to get it done at a significant discount.

Is there a difference between a paver patio and a stamped concrete patio and the value it adds to the house. In other words is one more valuable in terms of home values vs the other or is it simply a matter of personal preference. Thanks

Kristen

Comments (10)

• fnmroberts
    16 years ago

Stamped concrete can be made to look quite nice - colorized and patterned. But it is still concrete. It will settle and crack. The cracks can be controled by score lines created when it is poured but settling will most likely occur too. Releveling concrete is not as simple as raising a few pavers.

I'm sure your relative will install a proper base to minimize the effects of frost and ground settling. As to value, any unkept patio will be a detriment and a well maintained one will create a return. If the concrete is significantly less costly, go with it.

• greyhound3
    16 years ago

Facing your choice 3 years ago while tearing out cracked concrete patio slab & rebar, I went with the pavers! I'd call it less labor intensive and much more forgiving than concrete. A 2 man crew wrestled out the old patio and the next day a 4 man crew brought pavers to lay. An hour after they left I was sitting on my patio chair like the brand new cobblestone paver courtyard around me had been here 300 years! It was just $1200 including the concrete slab that needed removed. In personal taste ~ our neighbors who put up with jackhammers noise afraid to look at what we were up to, they walked toward our result stunned, saying oh my gosh how lovely that is! All visitors remark what a fine upgrade, cannot believe how it enhances the house & yard at such a low price.

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

what's a typical sq/ft price for pavers? i have quotes ranging from $15-20. The 20 quote included a 4inch poured concrete base (essentially pavers on top of a poured sidewalk)!

• marcinde
    16 years ago

SF price depends on where you are. Where are you? Here in VA, 15-20 is right on. For really intricate designs we're at about 20-22. Why would they pour a slab for under pavers?

To get back to the OP, I've never been a fan of stamped concrete and I've found it looks worse the more SF of it that's used at a site. One of my clients had 2000SF of stamped concrete poured in his backyard. It's coming out (after only two years) so we can lay flagstone.

Dave

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

Dave,

I'm in Chicago area.

the 20/sqft guy said he would put 4 inch poured concrete base because he said he never wants to hear a complaint about the pavers sinking. i thought it was a little peculiar. maybe this is how they do it in commercial applications.

• anthem
    16 years ago

are you sure he said concrete but maybe crush and run which has concrete in it and will harden underneath.

• alisonn
    10 years ago

Interesting food for thought - I was told by a neighbor that a paver patio is not taxed in my town, because it is not considered a "permanent" structure. A concrete patio, on the other hand, would be considered a taxable improvement. I have not validated this with the town, but it seems like it might be something to look into.

That being said, I'm considering stamped concrete because I hate the @#!!$$! weeds that will inevitably grow between pavers.

• alisonn
    10 years ago

Interesting food for thought - I was told by a neighbor that a paver patio is not taxed in my town, because it is not considered a "permanent" structure. A concrete patio, on the other hand, would be considered a taxable improvement. I have not validated this with the town, but it seems like it might be something to look into.

That being said, I'm considering stamped concrete because I hate the @#!!$$! weeds that will inevitably grow between pavers.

• marcinde
    10 years ago

I wouldn't let weeds be the deciding factor on pavers vs concrete. Current install methods include using polymeric sand between the joints. You don't have washouts like we did with stone dust or regular sand, and the poly sand does a decent job of keeping weeds from lodging in and germinating. I can't say you'll have NO weeds ever, but it's pretty minimal compared to how it was a decade ago