Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on pergola project

Posted by newhomeownerinwa (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 20:09

I am building a pergola/patio in our backyard, or more accurately, I'm hiring someone to do it, and I need some advice on a couple areas. Feel free to chime in on one or both.

*Type of wood. We are in Western Washington and get a lot of rain, so it needs to be durable. I'm planning to prime and paint or stain. The builder suggested cedar, which is 3x as expensive as fir. Is cedar worth the extra cost?

*Covering. I'd like to provide shade but also have it function as shelter for the days when it's a bit rainy up here. I also don't want to completely block out the sun that we do get. I've heard good things about polycarbonate, but I have no idea how I'd get that in large quantities. Any suggestions? Has anyone polycarbonate? Pros/cons? Any alternatives for transparent covering on top of the pergola/patio?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on pergola project

Doug Fir is some good stuff.

www.sundancesupply.com They sell a very east to install two part channel system along with the lexann sheet. I have used them several times with good results.

J.

o
RE: Need advice on pergola project

This is the one I am building from Cedar. I stained it. Personally I love the look at feel of rough cut cedar. I used to be in the Seattle area so I'm familiar with the weather. I think that if you made a stripping top like mine you angle the joists and cover the stripping with a sheeting to have the water flow. But I would probably make a blind system that could be pulled from one header to another to keep the water off when necessary. If it is a solid top, you'll be fighting the debris on the top of it all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here