Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the Best Material for Steel Deck (Overall and For Walking)

Posted by dreamojean (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 19:45

I'm interested in what's a better material for a steel deck infill - cement, diamondplate, metal slats, etc.? Here's the feedback I've gotten so far (I'd love feedback from professionals and people who have real-world experience with different options): Cement is more expensive (about $3,000 more for our deck) but lower maintenance and doesn't get as hot for bare feet in the summer (but it's uglier), metal slats (what I'll call the Lopopolo deck) are pretty, let water and some light through, and will get hot probably; diamondplate gets fairly hot in summer but is less costly. One possible contractor said to get through permitting and building and then put an overlay of wood on whatever material we choose for the deck (but of course that means we pay for the steel or cement and then again for the wood). Thoughts? I'm in New York City and our particular deck has to be steel, nothing combustible, at least through the permitting process, if we're doing it legally (which most people don't do, but which we already decided we would do for whatever reason)

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here