Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

What's the Best Material for Steel Deck (Overall and For Walking)

dreamojean
10 years ago

I'm interested in what's a better material for a steel deck infill - cement, diamondplate, metal slats, etc.? Here's the feedback I've gotten so far (I'd love feedback from professionals and people who have real-world experience with different options): Cement is more expensive (about $3,000 more for our deck) but lower maintenance and doesn't get as hot for bare feet in the summer (but it's uglier), metal slats (what I'll call the Lopopolo deck) are pretty, let water and some light through, and will get hot probably; diamondplate gets fairly hot in summer but is less costly. One possible contractor said to get through permitting and building and then put an overlay of wood on whatever material we choose for the deck (but of course that means we pay for the steel or cement and then again for the wood). Thoughts? I'm in New York City and our particular deck has to be steel, nothing combustible, at least through the permitting process, if we're doing it legally (which most people don't do, but which we already decided we would do for whatever reason)