Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_robinson_gw

new ipe screw plug system from Starborn/Headcote

dan_robinson
13 years ago

New member here. Not a contractor, but a skilled homeowner.

I',m about to build a 340 sq ft Ipe over ACQ deck (5/4 x 6" herringbone pattern)and I have learned alot from your forums and from other forums re: the pros and cons of hidden fasteners versus exposed screws, screws and plugs, etc. I don't want to start another forum about the relative merits.

However, I notived on Starborn's website (while researching their Headcote screws) that they have a (new?) Smartbit package called the Proplug System, which includes a special Smartbit that predrills for the screw and sinks a 5/16" plug hole at the same time. You then blow out the dust, set the headcote screw provided, apply glue in the hole with the special applicator that keeps it from filling the bottom (preventing hydaulic lock and splitting), and tap in the provided (face grain) plug after properly rotating it to align grain. Wipe squeeze-out with a wet rag, and give the plugs a pass with 60 grit after the glue has set. They claim everything is sized to work perfectly together, no need to knowck off proud plugs with a chisel as in the traditional way.

All the info is at:

http://www.starbornindustries.com/proplugsystem/index.html

I don't know if this is completely brand new or not. But it sure seems to cover all the bases, providing the optimal results of traditional screw and plug, with very little more work compared to simple face screwing.

Has anyone used this system? How did it work out for you?

Thanks

Dan Robinson

Comox Canada

Comments (7)

• dan_robinson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the typos....I didn't use the edit function correctly.
    DR

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

NO prob with the typos Dan makes me feel right at home.
    The smart bit,for me, will not give the control of a forstner bit/ predrill. However I total agree screw/plug is a very good way to fasten any decking.

I also agree the labor/time/cost is really not all that much more than regular face fasting with a show stoping look and positive, secure,sure thing conection.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• greenearthrecovery
    13 years ago

Dan,

Take a look at the Kreg website. Their pocket-hole jigs are inexpensive and I have built many decks using this process. Buy their deck jig and have at it. Their screws are top notch as well.

Great stuff!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kreg Tool

• brooklyndecks
    13 years ago

greenearth,

I checked out the website, because I'm always looking for a better way of building decks. It looks like the system might work, but not for me. The hidden fastener look is good, as is the almost top screwing system. The biggest problem that I have with the system is the gap spacing. It comes with 1/4" and 5/16" spacers, and that's just too big a gap to start with. I only use Ipe decking for my projects, and Ipe will shrink at least 1/16"-1/8" after it's installed. I set my gaps at 3/32", so that they will be around 1/8+ after shrinkage. 3/8" is just too bug a gap for me. I can't imagine the size of the gap if I used ACQ for decking. Babies might fall thru. Kreg makes some good products, but I give this one a thumbs down.
    On the other hand, I give starborn industries a thumbs up. I used to plug all of my decks, because I didn't like to see screw heads. Then came headcote screws, and the smartbit. The brown Headcotes practically disappear in Ipe.
    Sure, they're pricey...but my clients are worth it, and they pay for it. Those smartbits cut a perfect hole for the headcote screw. I thought that I'd never need to wear out my 60 year old knees setting plugs anymore.
    Now they have a new plugging system, and I bought into it, and it's really good. I always made my own plugs, but I have to admit that's it's just easier buying ones that are made to the right size, so I don't have to chip off the excess with my chisel anymore (I hated that step). The glue head thingy is ingenious. Glue goes where you need it...on the sides, not the bottom of the hole. Who thinks of this $hit.
    The best thing about it is that I charge alot for plugging, and I don't even have to get on my knees. My assistant is really good at plugging, so I just sit in the shade and smoke a cigarette while he does it.
    Life is good.
    steve

• duaneber
    13 years ago

New to the site and am just starting to review many of the helpful posts.

I took a look Kreg Deck Jig. Steve, you mentioned your issue with it is the spacing. However, couldn't you just your own spacers. Or do you see a bigger problem with the integrity of how the system works.

Thanks,
    Duane

• timk_2010
    13 years ago

My question involves the sanding process that follows the plugging for Ipe decking. Does the sanding leave a lighter spot or does the sanding spot disapear once the clear sealer is applied?
    Curious!

• brooklyndecks
    13 years ago

You shouldn't spot sand a deck. You will see the difference when it's sealed. Sand the whole deck with a ROS with 50 or 60 grit paper.

steve