Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attached to wall or not?

Posted by jenie16 (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 19:06

I had two estimates on a deck, 16 x 16, pressure treated wood. Very basic. It would be against my outside brick wall. One wants to attach it to the wall. The other said because the wall is brick, it should not be attached. I have no clue which is the better way. Any help would be great. Oh, and the estimates, one was half the price of the other. Thank you ahead of time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attached to wall or not?

For the most part brick is installed with wall ties, that is its not structure inclined.

Fastening to a verener in other words is not a good idea for a lot of reasons. If this is an upstairs projcet defentley do not do that. J.

o

Thanks so much for your answer. One more question, the house is a brick rancher. The deck ht. would be 1 1/2 ft. from the ground. Will that make a difference as to attached or unattached?

o

That low to the ground good chance the footing is extended past the brick line. Fasten to that.

When doing a project like that I tap con to the brick just to get grade then use the footings for bearing if none is there I provide my own.

Anyway I dont count on the brick for structure. J.

o

Yeah, what John said. Make it free-standing. Ok to attach it to the brick, but don't use the brick for structure, like with a ledger board. That's against code. Ours is free-standing, and we left about a 1/2" gap away from the brick for drainage.

o

Thanks for your replies. It helps!

o

and if termites are a problem in your area you might consider doing some preventative measures

digging up the area around a foundation line can cause problems
we had them in our house and had Orkin do a whole house treatment--they always want to know if/when we are having work done along the foundation line--
even if it is digging out older plants and replacing them--

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here