Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laying 4x4 over a cement slab

Posted by romanr (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 18:52

I have a cement slab (11'x25') which I'm building a wood deck on top and extending it on the ground so the total deck's size will be about 500sq. ft. To make the entry door opening and avoid any steps the height for the joists over the slab is exactly 3.5" (on the ground it's about 8"). I'm building a compound frame consisting of 2x6 over the ground and 4x4 laying just on top of the slab and connecting with the 2x6 over the ground. I'm to anchor the 4x4 but my concern is water and moisture contact with the slab. I thought to use some mastic insulating the wood from direct cement contact but not sure whether it's a pragmatic approach. What do you advise? I probably can insert thin plastic shims between the 4x4 and cement.

p.s. I've been in this project for some time now so things seem obvious to me. Let me know if something is unclear or I missed anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laying 4x4 over a cement slab

I would use some pieces of flat stainless steel or aluminum approx 1/8" or 3/16" thick to get that wood up off of the concrete slab to allow for ventilation and prevent water from wicking up from the slab.

I wouldn't use mastic. That will only wick the water up just like the concrete or itself. You need something that is impervious.

The other thing you're going to have an issue with is warping/twisting of the 4x4s. You will have to anchor it to the concrete every three feet or so minimum otherwise you're going to have a mess.

o

numerous deck builders have to me me that the treated 4x4 is designed for water contact. although ideally to prevent it in my case I have little choice. i have no gap to provide real space but I'm assuring ventilation under the deck and keep the incline so water is not supposed to stay there. I'm anchoring 12' long 4x4 by 4 5" lag screws each (so it's roughly 3.5" distance). It seems quite secure. I'll post pictures later when I'm done with it. Drilling 2" long 5/8" radius holes in concrete is no fun...

thanks for your input!
-Roman

o

Sure, they can get wet, but it's helpful for them to dry evenly. Without elevating them, the bottoms of the 4x4's will always take longer to dry than the tops. There can be some issues down the road, esp. with dirt accumulating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here