Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rained less than 24 hrs after deck sealed

Posted by marys235 (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 18:45

I hired someone to clean and seal my deck, then it rained for 2 weeks, so he couldn't start the job. I told him to wait until the deck had dried out for 2 days before he put on the waterproofing (Behr Waterproofing Wood Finish), and wait until there was no rain in the forecast for a day. Instead, he put on the waterproofing finish 2 days ago, after only 1/2 day of sun, so I don't think the deck was dry, and then it rained about 20 hours after he put the finish on. I'm upset, I thought he was going to wait, and he's charging me a heck of a lot to do this work. The water certainly didn't bead up when it rained yesterday, and I'm afraid the finish will not be waterproof (the instructions say to make sure the wood is dry, and no rain for 24 hours). Does anyone know if it needs to be redone? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rained less than 24 hrs after deck sealed

I found a pdf file of what I think is the Behr product you used:

"Behr Waterproof Wood Finish"

This one is water based, mentions to wait 24 hours before rain and can be applied with a rained on deck that is damp-dried.

Personally, I would like a dry deck with no rain for a few days...but based on this product, and the application instructions...I think you will be okay.

Casey
"Sean McDonagh Racing"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here