Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncdel_gw

Do you need to secure a grill on the patio?

ncdel
9 years ago

Tried this on the cooking outdoors forum, which apparently does not have any traffic so I thought this board would be appropriate also :)
I live in a state that gets tornado warnings on occasion & the back of our house is like a wind tunnel in general during storms b/c there is nothing behind us... we are putting a patio on the back of the house & want to have the grill in a spot that does not back right up to the house but is accessible to the door that goes inside...my only concern is whether I need to be concerned about the grill blowing over in a bad storm? I know we could build a wall/area for it to go in but I don't really want to spend that $. Is it necessary to secure or are there other ways or is it really unlikely that a grill would blow over (It is a Weber 4 burner gas grill to give you an idea of size/weight).
Thanks!

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

A tornado move car, and buildings, do you really think your grille would stay put?

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

We had a hefty gas grill on our deck and it blew over a few times in strong (non-tornado) winds. I'd definitely secure it.

• chickadee4
    9 years ago

First thing we pulled inside the basement were all the patio furniture and grill when storm season hit in Georgia .

Mill workman said it more succinctly.

• ncdel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK so let me re-word HOW do you secure a grill besides building a wall around it? I am not questioning whether a tornado could move a grill, but the average strong winds/storms & how to secure it if necessary. We grill out as long as weather permits which includes spring & fall and we do not have room in our garage so it will need to live outside on the patio during those seasons. Right now since we don't have a patio w/ have a tiny little 'deck' which is basically a landing outside the door that fits our grill and not much else, so it has always been barricaded in that way. I can't believe that people who live in tornado/storm prone areas are constantly bringing their grills in & out all spring/summer/fall when storms blow through, and I know not everyone has a built enclosure on their outdoor space.

• Rodney Aldridge
    8 years ago

I have found that using four fence posts placed in the ground 2 feet will secure it in most severe thunder storms.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago

If the grill is connected to an in-ground gas line, then it's required that the grill be fastened down so it can't move. The goal there is to prevent the gas line from being broken, resulting in an open gas leak.

If your grill has a self-contained gas tank but your area is simply subject to high winds that could turn the grill into a projectile, sure, you can secure it.

At my old lake house, the chairs on the pier would occasionally get blown into the water. I installed a few stainless steel lashing rings and secured the chairs to the rings.

• scungilli
    3 years ago

I realize it's an old post, but I recently installed these D-rings after having my grill overturn in a wind storm.

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/PF5ZC-Wall-Pan-Mounting-Ring-1-200-Lbs-White-Zinc-Finish

• HU-165569050
    3 years ago

Clean job! Did you use 2 D rings and one strap, or need to use 4 D rings and 2 straps to secure it?

• scungilli
    3 years ago

Thanks. I had my previous heavy Weber grill overturn during a blizzard type storm a few years ago. The new Weber in the photo overturned once earlier this year, and I didn't really want to drill into the pavers, but I had to figure a way to secure it neatly. I just used 2 D-rings and the Velcro strap, but since taking the photo, I have added a couple of bungee cords as well because we have had a few wind gusts that hit 60 mph and knocked over my metal patio chairs, so I wanted it extra secure. The grill fortunately hasn't budged at all during any of the storms.

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

how did you secure the D-rings to the patio? Did you use cement type screws?

• HU-165569050
    3 years ago

Yep. We get some very strong winds in Iowa that knocked my old Weber off our back deck a few times. It’s got a natural gas hose that’s not convenient to unhook and roll the grill to a protected place. When I got my new Stainless Steel Weber yesterday and a storm was coming through I knew that I needed to secure it down. Thought of placing a 40# patio paver on the bottom shelf but not sure the shelf is strong enough. Then decided to secure it down to my Trex Composite wood deck and when doing my research for ideas, I came upon your post. Perfect solution! I’ll use 4 Cargo Control D rings that you used, but I’ll order Stainless Steel. I’ll post a picture when I’m done. Thanks again!

• scungilli
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes, I used Tapcon anchors to secure it to the pavers. It's a natural gas Weber with a decent amount of hose so luckily no damage to the connection when it tipped. Glad it helped you out...

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

Perfect, Thanks!